A first-round NCAA Tournament matchup will see the 4-seed UCLA Bruins (25-7) take the court against the No. 13 seed Akron Zips (24-9) on Thursday at Moda Center. The matchup begins at 9:50 PM. Keep reading to find betting insights and statistics to help place a wager on the Bruins’ (to win on the moneyline) contest against the Zips ( ).
BetMGM March Madness Special Offer! Bet $10 on a moneyline and win $200 if either team makes a 3-pointer!
UCLA vs Akron Betting Odds
UCLA vs Akron Betting Analysis
When UCLA has the basketball, they will be looking to put the ball into the hands of star guard Johnny Juzang (16 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 APG). PG Tyger Campbell will also look for UCLA’s second-leading scorer, Jamie Jacquez. In order for UCLA’s offense to succeed, it must be efficient in transition and must also protect the basketball. In the regular season, the Bruins were the second-ranked team in the country when it comes to minimizing offensive turnovers.
For Akron to put up a fight, it needs to get the ball into the hands of star forward Ali Ali, who led the Zips in scoring (14 PPG). The Zips must also get to the free throw line where they rank in the top 10 in attempts. Akron needs to execute good spacing and efficiency when driving to the basket too.
Although the UCLA Bruins have been one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country this season, laying 14 points is too steep a price.
UCLA Offense Vs. Akron Defense
|UCLA Offense||Stats (Rank)||Akron Defense|
|76.4 (46)||Points/Gm||62.8 (26)|
|67.5 (202)||Possessions/Game||64.3 (20)|
|45.1 (113)||Field Goal %||42.3 (127)|
|35.2 (96)||3PT %||33.9 (208)|
|50.6 (160)||Effective FG %||48.3 (115)|
|54.4 (137)||True Shooting %||50.9 (94)|
Akron Offense Vs. UCLA Defense
|Akron Offense||Stats (Rank)||UCLA Defense|
|71.2 (165)||Points/Gm||64.8 (45)|
|63.2 (345)||Possessions/Game||69.9 (234)|
|46.2 (62)||Field Goal %||41.5 (79)|
|35.8 (65)||3PT %||32.5 (125)|
|53.7 (44)||Effective FG %||47.6 (86)|
|57.2 (39)||True Shooting %||49.8 (49)|
UCLA Betting Insights
- UCLA has won 17 games against the spread this season, while failing to cover or pushing 15 times.
- The Bruins have been favored by 14.5 points or more seven times this season, and covered the spread in three of those matchups.
- UCLA’s games have gone over the point total 16 out of 32 times this season.
- UCLA’s games this season have gone over this contest’s total of 129.5 points 24 times.
- The Bruins have an average point total of 139.3 in their contests this year, 9.8 more points than this matchup’s over/under.
Akron Betting Insights
- Akron has won 17 games against the spread this season, while failing to cover 14 times.
- The Zips have won their only game this year when playing as at least 14.5-point underdogs.
- A total of 14 Akron games this year have hit the over.
- Akron’s games this season have had a combined scoring total higher than 129.5 points in 19 of 31 outings.
- The average total for Zips games this season has been 136.1, 6.6 more points than this matchup’s over/under.
UCLA Key Players
- The Bruins scoring leader is Johnny Juzang, who puts up 16 points per game.
- Tyger Campbell leads UCLA with 4.2 assists per game and Jaime Jaquez Jr. paces the squad with 5.7 rebounds per contest.
- The Bruins are led by Campbell from beyond the arc. He makes 1.6 shots from deep per game.
- UCLA’s steals leader is Jaquez Jr., who grabs 1.2 per game. Myles Johnson leads the team averaging 1.3 blocks a game.
Akron Key Players
- The Zips go-to guy, Ali Ali, leads the team in both scoring (14.2 points per game) and assists (2.6 assists per game).
- When it comes to rebounds, Enrique Freeman is the Akron leader with 10.8 per game.
- Xavier Castaneda is tops from three-point range for the Zips, knocking down 2.2 treys per game.
- Greg Tribble tops Akron in steals with 1.1 per game, and Aziz Bandaogo leads the squad in blocks with 1.3 per game.
March Madness bracket & live odds