Do NFL Bets Void If The Game Is Moved? Sportsbook Change Of Venue House Rules
The Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills game was rumored to be relocated due to a winter weather emergency. While later reports showed that was inaccurate, it does raise a question for bettors. What are sportsbook relocation policies for wagers? Let’s take a look at the best sports betting sites and sportsbook house rules for a change of venue in the NFL.
Sportsbook House Rules: NFL Change of Venue
Each of the following below was sourced from the NFL house rules at each sportsbook.
- In the event a game venue is changed, and the home team remains designated as the home team, bets will stand.
- In the event a game venue is changed, and the home and away team’s listings are reversed (i.e. the home team becomes the away team), bets placed with the original listing will be void.
- In the event of a change of venue, all bets will be void.
- Football games and any games/events not specifically listed must be held within one week of the originally scheduled date and at the scheduled venue when the bet was placed to be considered action
- If there is a change of venue for an event, for any reason, wagers placed on this event prior to the location change announcement will be void.
- If a game venue is changed, bets already placed will stand providing the home team is still designated as such. If the home and away team for a listed game are reversed, then bets placed based on the original listing will be deemed no action. For games scheduled to be played at a neutral venue, bets will stand irrespective of how we list the event. For games scheduled to be played at a neutral venue, bets will stand irrespective of how we list the event.
- Should an event be moved from its originally announced venue and/or have its playing surface changed, this will not be treated as a cause for offers to be voided unless (i) the Sport-specific rules dictate such (their football rules do not), and/or the new location in which the event takes place is the habitual “home” pitch of either participant involved in the match.
- If a game venue is changed to a neutral site and the home team remains designated as such, bets will stand.
- If a game venue is changed to the away team’s home stadium or a site where the away team is now listed as the home team, bets placed on the original game will be void.
- If a game venue is changed, bets based on the original listing may be canceled.
Relocation Unlikely For Steelers Vs. Bills
It appears that the Steelers vs. Bills matchup will still be held in Buffalo.
Should this change, online sportsbooks have provided clear direction on their relocation policies. Bettors should make a note of all the relocation rules at the top NFL sportsbooks. In the event that a game is relocated, more than likely the wagers will be canceled.
- Join TheLines.com’s free sports betting Discord with more than 4,000 community members and our staff sharing betting ideas daily. Go to the #roles server to get push notifications to the Discord app from TheLines.com staff when they lock in a bet.