A Week 3 matchup sees the Carolina Panthers (2-0) play the Houston Texans (1-1). The Texans, on the moneyline to win, and the Panthers, listed at on the spread, kick things off on September 23, 2021 at 8:20 PM ET on NFLN. A total of points has been set for the contest.
In this article we will provide you with the best odds available and surface what you need to know to place a bet on the game. That includes key metrics, weather conditions, and injury updates.
The betting insights in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of September 23, 2021, 10:12 PM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Panthers Vs. Texans Betting Odds
Panthers Vs. Texans Player Props
Panthers Vs. Texans Betting Angles
Panthers Vs. Texans Weather
NRG Stadium has a retractable roof, but the weather forecast for Houston on Thursday is dry (few clouds) and calm (7 mph winds), with a high temperature of 71 degrees Fahrenheit (as of 10:12 PM on September 23).
Panthers Vs. Texans Injury Report
|A.J. Bouye||CB||Gameday Inactive||Out|
|Michael Jordan||G||Gaemday Inactive||Out|
|Clay Johnston||LB||Gameday Inactive||Out|
|Troy Pride Jr.||CB||Leg||Out|
|Shi Smith||WR||Gameday Inactive||Out|
|Deonte Brown||G||Gameday Inactive||Out|
|Phil Hoskins||DT||Gameday Inactive||Out|
|Jordan Jenkins||OLB||Gameday Inactive||Out|
|Deshaun Watson||QB||Not Injury Related||Out|
|A.J. Moore Jr.||SS||Hamstring||Out|
|Brevin Jordan||TE||Gameday Inactive||Out|
Panthers Offense Vs. Texans Defense (2020)
|Panthers Offense||Stats (Rank)||Texans Defense|
|21.9 (24)||Points/Gm||29.0 (27)|
|0.35 (21)||Points/Play||0.43 (25)|
|349.5 (21)||Yards/Gm||416.8 (30)|
|258.1 (16)||Pass Yards/Gm||270.3 (25)|
|106.5 (21)||Rush Yards/Gm||160.3 (32)|
|5.6 (17)||Yards/Play||6.2 (29)|
|7.5 (13)||Yards/Pass||8.0 (29)|
|4.2 (19)||Yards/Rush||5.2 (32)|
|39.0% (25)||3rd Down %||47.5% (29)|
|50.9% (28)||Red Zone %||63.5% (22)|
|21 (17)||Turnovers||9 (32)|
|36 (17)||Sacks||33 (18)|
Texans Offense Vs. Panthers Defense (2020)
|Texans Offense||Stats (Rank)||Panthers Defense|
|24.0 (18)||Points/Gm||25.1 (18)|
|0.41 (12)||Points/Play||0.39 (17)|
|375.3 (13)||Yards/Gm||360.1 (18)|
|302.7 (2)||Pass Yards/Gm||251.5 (16)|
|91.6 (31)||Rush Yards/Gm||121.0 (20)|
|6.4 (1)||Yards/Play||5.6 (18)|
|8.9 (1)||Yards/Pass||6.9 (8)|
|4.3 (14)||Yards/Rush||4.7 (27)|
|43.0% (13)||3rd Down %||49.2% (31)|
|54.0% (25)||Red Zone %||63.2% (21)|
|18 (9)||Turnovers||22 (10)|
|50 (30)||Sacks||29 (23)|
When The Panthers Have The Ball (2020)
- The Panthers’ passing attack averaged 7.5 yards per pass attempt last season (13th in NFL). The Texans allowed 8.0 per pass (29th).
- Carolina committed 21 turnovers, 16th-highest in the NFL last season, while Houston forced nine turnovers (fewest in the league).
- The Panthers averaged 4.2 yards per rushing attempt last year (19th in NFL), while the Texans allowed 5.2 (32nd).
- Carolina averaged 5.6 yards per play last season (17th in the NFL) compared to the 6.2 per play Houston gave up (29th in the league).
When The Texans Have The Ball (2020)
- The Texans were 13th in the NFL in third-down percentage last season (43.0%) and will be up against the 31st-ranked Panthers defense in that category (49.2%).
- Houston averaged 6.4 yards per play last season (first in the NFL) compared to the 5.6 per play Carolina allowed (18th in the league).
- The Panthers’ defense gave up 251.5 yards through the air per game last season (16th in NFL). The Texans’ 302.7 passing yards per game was second in the league.
- Houston averaged 4.3 yards per rushing attempt last year (14th in the NFL), while Carolina gave up 4.7 per carry (27th in the league).
Panthers Betting Trends And Insights
- Carolina went 9-7-0 ATS last season.
- Last season, the combined scoring went over the point total seven times in Carolina’s games.
- In eight games last season, Carolina and its opponents scored more than 43.5 total points.
- The Panthers finished with a 1-3 record in games they were favored on the moneyline last season (winning 25% of those games).
Texans Betting Trends And Insights
- Houston compiled a 6-10-0 record against the spread last year.
- The Texans did not cover the spread last season (0-1 ATS) when playing as at least 8-point underdogs.
- Houston’s games went over the point total eight out of 16 times last year.
- Houston’s games last season had a combined scoring total higher than 43.5 points in 14 of 16 outings.
- The Texans were underdogs in 10 games last season and won one (10%) of those contests.
Panthers Players To Watch
- Sam Darnold threw for 2,208 yards (138.0 per game) while completing 59.6% of his passes (217-for-364), with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions last year. He also carried the ball 37 times for a team-high 217 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 13.6 yards per game.
- A season ago Christian McCaffrey churned out 225 rushing yards (22.5 per game) and scored five touchdowns.
- D.J. Moore grabbed 66 passes for 1,193 yards last season with four touchdowns. He was targeted 118 times, and averaged 74.6 receiving yards.
- Robby Anderson also chipped in with 1,096 receiving yards on 95 catches and three touchdowns. He was targeted 136 times, and put up 68.5 yards per game.
- Dan Arnold caught 31 passes for 438 yards and four touchdowns, averaging 27.4 yards per game.
- Last season, Haason Reddick put up 12.5 sacks, 20.0 TFL and 83 tackles.
- Jeremy Chinn collected 166 tackles, 3.0 TFL, 1.0 sack, and one interception over his last campaign.
- Donte Jackson intercepted three passes while adding 46 tackles, 1.0 TFL, and 11 passes defended a season ago.
Texans Players To Watch
- Deshaun Watson threw for 4,823 yards while completing 70.2% of his passes last year, with 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions (301.4 yards per game). He also carried the ball 90 times for 444 yards and three TDs.
- David Johnson racked up 691 rushing yards (53.2 per game) and scored six touchdowns. He also added 33 catches for 314 yards with two receiving TDs.
- Phillip Lindsay amassed 502 rushing yards on 118 carries with one touchdown on the ground last season.
- Last year Brandin Cooks was targeted 119 times and collected 81 catches for 1,150 yards and six touchdowns.
- Danny Amendola’s stat line last season was 46 grabs for 602 yards. He put up 37.6 receiving yards per game.
- Anthony Miller collected 485 yards on 49 catches with two touchdowns in 2020.
- DeMarcus Walker boasted an impressive stat line of 4.5 sacks, 4.5 TFL and 27 tackles.
- Zach Cunningham’s 2020 campaign saw him total 222 tackles, 7.5 TFL, and 3.0 sacks.
- Last season Christian Kirksey grabbed two interceptions and added 108 tackles, 3.0 TFL, 2.0 sacks, and four passes defended.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from