Not only has the Ohio sports betting launch undergone delays to administer a deadline date of Jan. 1, 2023, but the lengthy process has also reached an unfortunate milestone. Below, you’ll find more details on where residents sit while waiting to place their first legal wagers in the Buckeye State.
Free Pick’Em Contests! Compete for prizes every day by entering our free betting games. NFL, MLB, golf and more!
Ohio Sports Betting At A Stagnant Pace
There will be 374 days between Gov. Mike DeWine signing the bill to legalize Ohio sports betting on Dec. 23, 2021 and the aforementioned cutoff date, which the Ohio Casino Control Commission (CCC) established on June 1. That adds up to the longest amount of time allotted for a sports betting launch since Michigan.
To jog your memory, the Great Lakes State finally initiated retail sports betting on March 11, 2020. It was just one day before the NCAA cancelled March Madness — an obvious moneymaker for sportsbooks nationwide.
What’s The Hold Up?
To the dismay of impatient sports fans, the CCC noted that all betting entities must launch on the same day. In turn, the process to launch Ohio sports betting will be lengthened. This rule aids smaller operators, yet it creates an unnecessary delay for well-established brands, aiming to get a leg up on the competition.
The application period for most of Ohio’s sports betting licenses begins today, June 15, following the CCC’s approval of provisional licensing rules on the same day.
“Much attention has been focused on the status of the Commission’s rules pertaining to sports gaming and the announcement of application windows, as if these were the last steps in the process,” Jessica Franks, the director of communications for the CCC, said. “However, this does not fully consider the sheer volume of applicants or the unique and multi-faceted statutory requirements that must be met by both the operators and the Commission prior to the commencement of sports gaming.”
Ohio Sports Betting Timeline
The Ohio CCC released the expected schedule for the ensuing steps for Ohio sports betting, and they’re listed below.
- First Application Window Closes: Application deadline for proprietors, first designated mobile management service providers (MMSPs), MSPs and suppliers
- Second Application Window Opens: Type C sports gaming hosts and second designated MMSPs may begin to submit applications to the CCC
- Compliance Document Window Opens: Compliance document window opens, setting up applicants to submit responsible gaming plans, facility plans, equipment testing, geolocation procedures, house rules and required procedures
- Second Application Window Closes: Application deadline for Type C sports gaming hosts and second designated MMSPs
- Compliance Document Window Closes: Submission deadline for all final responsible gaming plans, facility plans, geolocation procedures, house rules and required procedures
- Employee Application Deadline: All standard sports gaming employee applications must be submitted
- Equipment Verification: All equipment ready for Commission verification
- Universal Start Date: All sports gaming launches
Continue the discussion in our Discord betting chat, where bettors discuss the latest sports betting news. If you’re looking for Cleveland Browns sports betting information click here. You can also follow TheLines on Twitter.