Japan pulled off a big upset last week by beating Germany, but on Sunday it was the one being upset. Costa Rica stunned Japan as Keysher Fuller scored in the 81st minute. Japan now needs a strong showing against Spain on Thursday if it hopes to reach the knockout stage. Japan World Cup odds currently sit at to be the first nation from Asia to win the competition. Click on any of the odds below to bet now on the best available prices at legal U.S. sportsbooks.
JAPAN WORLD CUP ODDS
GROUP E FUTURESThe odds are against Japan to reach the knockout stage at the 2022 World Cup with Spain and Germany in their group. They have odds of to win Group E and to advance out of Group E. FIFA World Cup Rankings in Group E:
- No. 7 Spain
- No. 12 Germany
- No. 23 Japan
- No. 31 Costa Rica/No. 101 New Zealand
- Greatest combined goal difference in all group matches
- Greatest combined number of goals scored in all group matches
- If more than one team remain level after applying the above criteria, their ranking will be determined as follows:
- Greatest number of points in head-to-head matches among those teams
- Greatest goal difference in head-to-head matches among those teams
- Greatest number of goals scored in head-to-head matches among those teams
- Fair play points system in which the number of yellow and red cards in all group matches are considered according to the following deductions:
- First yellow card: minus 1 point
- Second yellow card/indirect red card: minus 3 points
- Direct red card: minus 4 points
- Yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points
- If any of the teams above remain level after applying the above criteria, their ranking will be determined by the drawing of lots
TheLines World Cup Challenge! Compete for prizes every day during the World Cup by entering our free pick’em games.
GROUP E FIXTURES AND MATCH ODDS
Japan toppled Germany on Nov. 23 by a score of 2-1.
vs. Costa Rica
Japan was upset by Costa Rica, 1-0, on Nov. 27.
Thursday, December 1st at 2 p.m. ET (Ahmed bin Ali Stadium)
HOW TO WATCH FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR 2022
Fox and Telemundo own the rights to broadcast the competition. For west coast fans planning on watching the early games before work, you will need to stock up on coffee and five-hour energy drinks. Group matches will kick off at 5 a.m., 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. ET. The knockout matches will kick off at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. ET.
HOW JAPAN QUALIFIED FOR FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR 2022
Japan were drawn into AFC’s Group F with Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Myanmar for Round 2 of qualification. They finished top on 24 points winning all eight games to progress to Round 3 where they were drawn into Group B alongside Saudi Arabia, Australia, Oman, China and Vietnam. This time they finished second on 22 points with 7W-1D-2L. xG stats were unavailable for Japan on FotMob.com. Check out Marco Cerino‘s post for a full list of nations who have qualified for Qatar 2022.
|DATE||OPPONENT||Result||Goals For||Goals Against||Total Goals|
xG stats via FotMob.com