For many years, European betting sites have offered wagering on the Academy Awards. In 2019, the United States got in on the action for the first time, with almost every New Jersey sportsbook offering Oscars betting odds and wagering opportunities.
The 2023 Academy Awards ceremony will go down on March 12 and the fourth year of US Oscars betting will be even bigger than the last three. With more books than ever following Hollywood’s biggest night, let’s run down how Oscars betting works, where you can bet on them, what the odds are, and how to place your best Academy Awards bets.
Oscars betting odds
Oscars betting odds for 2023 will soon be posted by top sportsbooks. Here are what Academy Awards odds looked like last year.
Best Motion Picture
- The Power of the Dog -145
- CODA +120
- Belfast +1400
- West Side Story +4000
- King Richard +4000
- Dune +5000
- Licorice Pizza +6600
- Don’t Look Up +6600
- Drive My Car +10000
- Nightmare Alley +10000
- Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye) -185
- Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos) +350
- Kristen Stewart (Spencer) +700
- Olivia Colman (The Lost Daughter) +750
- Penelope Cruz (Paralell Mothers) +900
- Will Smith (King Richard) -1000
- Benedict Cumberbatch (Power of the Dog) +500
- Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!) +1400
- Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth) +5000
- Javier Bardem (Lucy and Desi) +5000
- Jane Campion (The Power of the Dog) -5000
- Steven Spielberg (West Side Story) +1400
- Kenneth Branagh (Belfast) +1600
- Ryusuke Hamaguchi (Drive My Car) +2500
- Paul Thomas Anderson (Licorice Pizza) +3300
Best Supporting Actor
- Troy Kotsur (CODA) -450
- Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Power of the Dog) +300
- Ciaran Hinds (Belfast) +2000
- Jesse Plemons (The Power of the Dog) +3300
- J.K. Simmons (Being the Ricardos) +3300
Best Supporting Actress
- Ariana DeBose (West Side Story) -2000
- Kirsten Dunst (The Power of the Dog) +750
- Aunjanue Ellis (King Richard) +2000
- Judi Dench (Belfast) +2500
- Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter) +3300
When is the 2022 Oscars ceremony?
The 94th Academy Awards will air on ABC and ABC streaming services on Sunday, March 27 at 8 p.m. ET.
Nominations for the awards were announced on February 8, 2022.
February 8: Oscar nominations announced
February 27: SAG Awards
March 12: DGA Awards
March 13: BAFTA Awards
March 19: PGA Awards
There aren’t really betting opportunities for these other awards ceremonies. They are worth following, however, because the winners in these events can often indicate who is set up to succeed at the Oscars.
Oscars categories and eligibility
While it is the 2022 Oscars, the films up for the honors are those that were released from March 1, 2021 to Dec. 31, 2021.
There are 24 competitive Oscars categories. Some books will offering wagering on every category, but others will limit themselves to what is considered the Big Six. These categories are:
- Best Picture
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Supporting Actor
These six categories are the focus of most of the media coverage and public interest around the awards. If you are interested in maximizing what you can win on Oscars night though, it is the smaller markets where inefficiencies and mispricing are more prevalent.
What types of Oscars bets are available?
It’s important to note: while typically all favorites are priced around the same on most sites, you can often find a wide range of pricing for underdog moneyline wagers. We encourage you to explore your options on all legal sportsbooks.
Where can I bet on the Oscars?
Michigan sportsbooks have been approved to allow for Academy Awards wagering on several categories. Sportsbooks with odds posted in the Great Lakes state include:
New Jersey sportsbooks
New Jersey sportsbooks have been approved to offer Oscars betting on at least a few categories. The sportsbooks that allowed betting in every category were:
Where can I find Oscars betting predictions and tips?
If this is your first time betting the Oscars, it helps to read as much information as possible so you can confidently place your wagers.
You may have heard certain awards such as the SAGs or Producer’s Guild are good indicators as to how the Academy will vote. There are sites that track these awards and offer predictions for winners, such as Awards Watch and Golden Derby.
Over the course of the next few weeks, PlayPicks.com will have picks articles as well. And you can check back to this page for updated odds and news on Oscars betting.