Horse racing has always been one of the most popular sports to bet on in the US. It’s as straight forward as it gets – which horse(s) do you like in the race? Check out our horse racing betting guide for how to wager.
Typical horse races feature 5-11 horses. Some big races, like the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, will have a field up to 20 horses. There are also big meets that feature multiple big races, like the Breeders’ Cup.
How to bet on horse racing
Online betting on horse racing has never been easier as TVG is legal is dozens of states. TVG will also give new users your first single-horse win wager up to $200 back if you lose by using promo code: 200TVG.
Types of horse racing bets can be broken down into four categories: Easy, Moderate, Hard and Difficult.
Easier bets to win
- Win: Pick the winner of the race
- Place: The horse you bet on must finish in first or second
- Show: The horse you bet on must finish in first, second or third
Moderate bets to win
- Exacta: Pick the first two finishers in order
- Quinella: Pick the first two finishers in any order
- Double: Pick the winner of two races in a row
Hard bets to win
- Trifecta: Pick the first three finishers in order
- Superfecta: Pick the first four finishers in order
- Pick 3: Pick the winner of three races in a row
Most difficult bets to win
- Pick 4: Pick the winner of four races in a row
- Pick 5: Pick the winner of five races in a row
- Pick 6: Pick the winner of six races in a row
The Triple Crown
There are multiple horse races to wager on most every day throughout the year. Casual horse racing bettors are typically focused on the Big 3 horse races each year, however. The Sport of King’s Triple Crown includes the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, Kentucky, the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore, Maryland, and the Belmont Stakes in Elmont, New York.
Here is a look at when each big race will be running in 2022:
Kentucky Derby 2023 – 149th running
- When: Saturday, May 6
- Where: Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky
- 2022 winning horse: Rich Strike
- 2022 winning trainer: Eric Reed
- 2022 winning jockey: Sonny Leon
Preakness Stakes 2023 – 148th running
- When: Saturday, May 20
- Where: Pimlico Race Course, Baltimore, Maryland
- 2022 winning horse: Early Voting
- 2022 winning trainer: Chad Brown
- 2022 winning jockey: Jose Ortiz
Belmont Stakes 2023 – 155th running
- When: Saturday, June 10
- Where: Belmont Park, Elmont, New York
- 2022 winning horse: Mo Donegal
- 2022 winning trainer: Todd Pletcher
- 2022 winning jockey: Irad Ortiz Jr.