Horse racing has always been one of the most popular sports to bet on in the US. It’s as straight forward as it gets – which horse(s) do you like in the race? Check out our horse racing betting guide for how to wager.
Typical horse races feature 5-11 horses. Some big races, like the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, will have a field up to 20 horses. There are also big meets that feature multiple big races, like the Breeders’ Cup.
The 2023 Belmont Stakes will take place on Saturday, June 10. Belmont Stakes odds are available below.
For the race you’ll be able to get a $20 No Sweat Belmont Bet with FanDuel Racing.
This year’s Belmont Stakes field and morning line odds are posted below. Forte, the horse favored to win this year’s Kentucky Derby before being scratched the morning of the race, is the 5-2 favorite. Preakness Stakes winner National Treasure is 5-1. Kentucky Derby winner Mage is not racing in the Belmont.
|Post||Horse||Belmont Stakes Odds||Morning Line Odds||Trainer||Jockey|
|1||Tapit Shoes||16-1||20-1||Brad Cox||Jose Ortiz|
|2||Tapit Trice||6 -1||3-1||Todd Pletcher||Luis Saez|
|3||Arcangelo||7-1||8-1||Jena Antonucci||Javier Castellano|
|4||National Treasure||9-2||5-1||Bob Baffert||John Velazquez|
|5||Il Miracolo||19-1||30-1||Antonio Sano||Marcos Menesses|
|6||Forte||5-2||5-2||Todd Pletcher||Irad Ortiz Jr|
|7||Hit Show||8-1||10-1||Brad Cox||Manny Franco|
|8||Angel of Empire||7-2||7-2||Brad Cox||Flavien Prat|
|9||Red Route One||13-1||15-1||Steve Asmussen||Joel Rosario|
How to bet on horse racing
Online betting on horse racing has never been easier as FanDuel Racing is legal is dozens of states. FanDuel Racing will also give new users a No Sweat Bonus Bet upon sign up.
Types of horse racing bets can be broken down into four categories: Easy, Moderate, Hard and Difficult.
Easier bets to win
- Win: Pick the winner of the race
- Place: The horse you bet on must finish in first or second
- Show: The horse you bet on must finish in first, second or third
Moderate bets to win
- Exacta: Pick the first two finishers in order
- Quinella: Pick the first two finishers in any order
- Double: Pick the winner of two races in a row
Hard bets to win
- Trifecta: Pick the first three finishers in order
- Superfecta: Pick the first four finishers in order
- Pick 3: Pick the winner of three races in a row
Most difficult bets to win
- Pick 4: Pick the winner of four races in a row
- Pick 5: Pick the winner of five races in a row
- Pick 6: Pick the winner of six races in a row
The Triple Crown
There are multiple horse races to wager on most every day throughout the year. Casual horse racing bettors are typically focused on the Big 3 horse races each year, however. The Sport of King’s Triple Crown includes the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, Kentucky, the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore, Maryland, and the Belmont Stakes in Elmont, New York.
Here is a look at when each big race will be running in 2023:
Kentucky Derby 2023 – 149th running
- When: Saturday, May 6
- Where: Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky
- 2023 winning horse: Mage
- 2023 winning trainer: Gustavo Delgado
- 2023 winning jockey: Javier Castellano
Preakness Stakes 2023 – 148th running
- When: Saturday, May 20
- Where: Pimlico Race Course, Baltimore, Maryland
- 2023 winning horse: National Treasure
- 2023 winning trainer: Bob Baffert
- 2023 winning jockey: John R. Velazquez
Belmont Stakes 2023 – 155th running
- When: Saturday, June 10
- Where: Belmont Park, Elmont, New York
- 2022 winning horse: Mo Donegal
- 2022 winning trainer: Todd Pletcher
- 2022 winning jockey: Irad Ortiz Jr.