The Del Mar Summer Meet is one of the special events on the horse racing calendar and summer schedule. The 2021 summer meet begins Friday, July 16 and runs through Labor Day on Sept. 6. It includes 31 days of horse racing.
Del Mar Racing is host for the 2021 Breeders’ Cup World Championships at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in November. The beautiful seaside track 20 miles North of San Diego will bring together fans for horse racing’s most prestigious two-day event for the second time on Friday, Nov. 5 and Saturday, Nov. 6. Tickets for the Breeders’ Cup will go on sale to the public at 9 a.m. on Friday, July 16 – opening day of the Del Mar Summer Meet.
On this page we will look at horse racing betting odds for the 2021 races at Del Mar and more.
Del Mar horse racing odds: Runhappy Oceanside Stakes
For live odds on every Del Mar horse race, go to TVG.
|9||No Foolery Here||20-1|
|11||None Above the Law||8-1|
Best online horse racing sites
Del Mar racing
- Address: 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA 92014
- Owner: State of California
- Operator: Del Mar Thoroughbred Club
- Dirt Track: 1 mile oval
- Turf Track: 1 mile oval
- Twitter: @DelMarRacing
The Del Mar summer meet will feature Friday-through-Sunday racing the first two weeks followed by Thursday-through-Sunday starting July 29 with a finale on Labor Day Monday, September 6. First post daily throughout the stand will be at 2 p.m. PT with the exception of Fridays in which first post will be at 4 p.m.
Del Mar’s slogan is ‘Cool as Ever’, and fans have enjoyed the seaside track “Where the Turf Meets the Surf” for 84 years.
Key races and dates
The Del Mar summer stakes schedule includes 40 stakes races, of which 23 are graded stakes headlined by the 84th running of the TVG Pacific Classic on Saturday, Aug. 28.
The $100,000 Oceanside Stakes kicks off opening weekend on Friday followed by Saturday’s $250,000 Grade II San Diego Handicap, which Maximum Security won by a nose last year. Maximum Security would also go on to win the TVG Pacific Classic.
In total, six Grade I races are scheduled at Del Mar with the first two part of the “Win and You’re In” Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series starting with the $300,000 Bing Crosby Stakes on Sat., July 31 followed by the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes for fillies and mares on Sun., Aug. 1.
Saturday, Aug. 21 is the biggest day of the summer meet with six graded stakes races headlined by the $750,000 TVG Pacific Classic and $1 million Del Mar Handicap presented by the Japan Racing Association. Both races award automated fees-paid entries to the two biggest Breeders’ Cup races on Nov. 6 – the $6 million Longines Classic and $4 million Longines Turf.
The additional graded stakes races of most interest at Del Mar include: (BC = Breeders’ Cup qualifier)
- July 24: $250,000 Grade II Eddie Read Stakes for 3-year-olds and up, 1 1/8 miles on the turf
- July 24: $200,000 Grade II San Clemente Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, 1 mile on the turf
- July 31 $300,000 Grade I Bing Crosby (BC) for 3-year-olds and up, 6 furlongs
- Aug. 1: $300,000 Grade I Clement L. Hirsch (BC) for fillies and mares 3 & up, 1 1/16 miles
- Aug 7: $200,000 Grace II Yellow Ribbon Handicap for fillies and mares 3 & up, 1 1/16 miles on the turf
- Aug 7: $200,000 Grade II Best Pal Stakes for 2-year-olds at 6 furlongs
- Aug 8: $150,000 Grade III La Jolla Stakes for 3-year-olds at 1 1/6 miles on the turf
- Aug 21: $750,000 Grade I TVG Pacific Classic (BC) for 3-year-olds and up at 1 1/4 miles
- Aug 21: $1 million Grade II Del Mar Handicap (BC) for older horses at 1 3/8 miles on the turf
- Aug 21: $300,000 Grade I Del Mar Oaks for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/8 miles on the turf
- Aug 21: $300,000 Grade II Del Mar Mile for 3-year-olds and up at 1 mile on the turf
- Aug 21: $300,000 Grade II Del Mar Handicap for 3-year-olds and up at 1 3/8 miles on the turf
- Aug 21: $100,000 Grade III Torrey Pines Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at 1 mile
- Aug 28: $200,000 Grade II Pat O’Brien Stakes (BC) for 3-year-olds and up at 7 furlongs
- Sept 4: $200,000 Grade II Del Mar Derby for 3-year-olds at 1 1/8 miles on the turf
- Sept 4: $200,000 Grade II John C. Mabee Stakes for fillies and mares 3 & up at 1 1/8 miles on the turf
- Sept 5: $300,000 Grade I Del Mar Debutante for 2-year-olds fillies at 7 furlongs
- Sept. 6: $300,000 Grade I Ru RunHappy Del Mar Futurity for 2-year-olds at 7 furlongs
In total, there are five major stakes races at Del Mar that are also “Win and You’re In” Breeders’ Cup qualifying races.