Major League Baseball (MLB) recently announced the first-ever “Field Of Dreams” game. This unique baseball game will take place in Dyersville, Iowa on August 13, 2020, next to the baseball field from the 1989 movie.
The New York Yankees will play the Chicago White Sox. The ChiSox will be the home team since Chicago is a) giving up a home game from the series and is b) is about 200 miles from Dyersville.
— MLB (@MLB) August 8, 2019
New “Field Of Dreams”
That’s right — MLB will build a brand new 8,000 capacity baseball stadium in the cornfields of Iowa. The stadium will be within walking distance to the original baseball field from the movie. In fact, the two venues will be close enough to one another that MLB will create a pathway through the cornfield between the two ballparks.
“Field Of Dreams” is one of the most popular baseball movies of all time. While MLB looks to expand its footprint with games in new locations like London, it never forgets the history of the game.
“As a sport that is proud of its history linking generations, Major League Baseball is excited to bring a regular-season game to the site of Field of Dreams,” MLB Commissioner Robert Manfred said. “We look forward to celebrating the movie’s enduring message of how baseball brings people together at this special cornfield in Iowa.”
FIRST LOOK at @MLB venue for @Yankees–@whitesox game in Dyersville, Iowa, site of “Field of Dreams.” Pathway through cornfield will connect 8,000-seat temporary stadium with original film location. The 8/13/20 game will be a White Sox home game. 🌽⚽️ pic.twitter.com/iNHV2qTTy1
— Jeff Eisenband (@JeffEisenband) August 8, 2019
Exact details of this new stadium haven’t been revealed yet. The dimensions of the “Field of Dreams” playing field from the movie are:
- 280 feet to right field
- 280 left field
- 300 feet to center field
There’s been plenty of speculation on whether or not the new stadium will have the same dimensions. Thanks to 50 home runs, the Yankees vs. Red Sox series in London was considered a success.
Keeping dimensions similar to the original field could create a venue with a similar uptick in home runs. This could also make gambling on the game a little more interesting.
MLB’s FAQ for the game says the design of the stadium will remind fans of Chicago’s Comiskey Park. That stadium was home of the White Sox team that was featured in the movie.
The game won’t be played in the cornfields like the movie but the right-field wall will include windows to show the cornfields outside of the stadium.
More unique MLB games in 2020
For some reason, Major League Baseball released its 2020 schedule about 75% through the 2019 season. Regardless of the timing, there will be a number of games played at neutral sites next year:
- Puerto Rico series – April 28-30: New York Mets versus Miami Marlins
- London series – June 13 and 14: New York Yankees versus Boston Red Sox
- Field of Dreams game – Aug. 13: New York Yankees versus Chicago White Sox
- Little League Classic (Williamsport, PA) – Aug. 23: Boston Red Sox versus Baltimore Orioles
MLB playing in new sports betting markets
It’s probably just a coincidence that MLB is creating popup games in markets with legal sports betting, markets that might be legalizing sports betting, and a country with established sports betting.
- Iowa: Sports betting will become legal in Iowa well before the “Field Of Dreams” game takes place. In fact, sports betting in Iowa could become legal as soon as this week.
- Williamsport, PA: Sports betting became legal in Pennsylvania in 2018 after the MLB season ended. This will be the first year that the Little League Classic is played in a state with mobile and retail sports betting.
- Puerto Rico: Earlier this year Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló proposed legalizing gambling. Online and retail sports betting is included in the legislation. There’s no solid timeline for legalization but 2020 would be the soonest sports betting becomes legal.
- London: Sports betting is ubiquitous in London.
If states are looking to be home to a special MLB game, they might want to consider legalizing sports betting and play.