Over the course of an MLB season, bettors have the opportunity to wager on thousands of games. Inevitably, there’s some value to be found out there. During the past several years, I’ve had success with MLB bets. So, I’ll share my daily plays here along with videos for those who prefer multimedia formats. Each game will have a few brief notes explaining my thoughts.
Keep in mind that some of these lines will have moved by the time I get around to writing them up. The best way to get in at a good number is to use our MLB odds page and join TheLines.com’s free discord server to see the picks as they’re released. I encourage everyone to get involved in the discussion and, rather than tail anyone’s picks (including mine) without thinking, apply your own judgments as a filter. We have a great community of baseball fans discussing games daily.
FREE Home Run Bingo! Pick four MLB home run hitters every day and compete for daily and monthly prizes.
Best MLB Bets For Monday, May 8
Chicago White Sox At Kansas City Royals
Notes for this game:
- Dylan Cease has not looked like he’ll repeat last season’s near-Cy Young campaign. However, this is a good matchup for him.
- The Royals don’t hit his primary pitches (fastball and slider) well, ranking 26th and 22nd in MLB, respectively.
- They are also among the most chase-happy teams. That’s big for Cease since walks (4.84 per 9 IP) have been his biggest issue.
- I got in at -125 here but still think -135 is OK for a small play.
Current best price on White Sox:
LA Dodgers At Milwaukee Brewers
Notes for this game:
- Tony Gonsolin has really struggled in his two starts since coming off the IL for an ankle injury. He has more walks than strikeouts so far and many of his ERA estimators are around 6 (!).
- So far, he has gotten away with the poor pitching by inducing a ton of chases. That likely won’t continue here against a Brew Crew that has the fifth-lowest O-Swing% and seventh-highest walk rate.
- Gonsolin also likely won’t give the Dodgers a lot of length. That’s bad news for a heavily worked bullpen which probably won’t have ace Evan Phillips and helpful setup man Caleb Ferguson available.
- I had this one as wrong team favored on the morning line and would play the Brewers to -110.
Current best price on Brewers: