The No. 7 seed Michigan State Spartans (22-12) and the No. 10 seed Davidson Wildcats (27-6) will meet in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday at 9:40 PM. Keep reading to find betting insights and statistics to help place a wager on the Spartans’ (to win on the moneyline) matchup against the Wildcats ( ).
BetMGM March Madness Special Offer! Bet $10 on a moneyline and win $200 if either team makes a 3-pointer!
Michigan State vs Davidson Betting Odds
Michigan State vs Davidson Betting Analysis
When Michigan State has possession, they will be looking to spread the offense out and wait for good shots as the result of great passing. The production of this Spartans’ offense is very well distributed. Four of the five starters average somewhere between 8.0 and 9.5 PPG. MSU’s leading scorer, forward Gabe Brown, is not far ahead with an average of 11.5 PPG.
Although Michigan State is a pretty efficient three-point shooting team, in addition to defending those shots just as well, their defense forces minimal turnovers. When Davidson has the basketball, it is a top-25 team in the country minimizing turnovers. Also, Davidson’s offense has metrics that align with some of the best teams in the country. Specifically, the Wildcats are the sixth most efficient three-point shooting team, in addition to being a top-20 team in both efficiency attacking the rim and spacing on offense.
There is sufficient data to back the 10-seed Davidson as a 1.5 point underdog versus the 7-seed Michigan State.
Michigan State Offense Vs. Davidson Defense
|Michigan State Offense||Stats (Rank)||Davidson Defense|
|72.1 (147)||Points/Gm||65.8 (75)|
|67.2 (215)||Possessions/Game||69.0 (187)|
|45.7 (84)||Field Goal %||41.5 (79)|
|37.8 (21)||3PT %||33.7 (191)|
|52.0 (100)||Effective FG %||48.9 (148)|
|55.8 (91)||True Shooting %||50.2 (65)|
Davidson Offense Vs. Michigan State Defense
|Davidson Offense||Stats (Rank)||Michigan State Defense|
|75.6 (55)||Points/Gm||68.4 (155)|
|65.2 (309)||Possessions/Game||67.0 (90)|
|48.1 (18)||Field Goal %||41.6 (87)|
|38.6 (8)||3PT %||31.2 (58)|
|56.1 (14)||Effective FG %||47.5 (77)|
|59.8 (6)||True Shooting %||51.1 (106)|
Michigan State Betting Insights
- Michigan State has put together an 18-16-0 ATS record so far this year.
- The Spartans have an ATS record of 12-10 when playing as at least 1.5-point favorites this season.
- Michigan State’s games have gone over the point total 18 out of 35 times this season.
- In 19 games this season, Michigan State and its opponents have gone over 140.5 total points.
- The average point total in Spartans games this season is 139.3, 1.2 points fewer than this matchup’s over/under.
Davidson Betting Insights
- Davidson is 20-12-0 ATS this season.
- The Wildcats have an ATS record of 5-2 when playing as at least 1.5-point underdogs this season.
- So far this year, 19 out of Davidson’s 32 games with an over/under have gone over the point total.
- Davidson has combined with its opponent to score more than 140.5 points in 14 of 32 games this season.
- Wildcats contests this season have a 137.2-point average over/under, 3.3 fewer points than this game’s point total.
Michigan State Key Players
- Gabe Brown leads the Spartans scoring 11.4 points per game.
- Marcus Bingham paces Michigan State with 6.1 rebounds a game and A.J Hoggard leads the team with 4.9 assists per contest.
- Brown makes 1.9 treys per game to lead the Spartans.
- Michigan State’s blocks leader is Bingham, who averages 2.1 per game. Tyson Walker leads the team averaging 1.0 steal a game.
Davidson Key Players
- Foster Loyer has the top spot on the Wildcats scoring and assist lists, putting up 16.3 points and 3.3 assists per game.
- Luka Brajkovic’s 7.3 rebounds per game paces Davidson’s rebounding effort. He also adds 14.2 points per game.
- Loyer makes more threes per game than any other member of the Wildcats, cashing in 2.6 treys per game.
- Davidson’s Mike Jones has the top spot on the team’s steals leaderboard with 1.0 per game and Brajkovic is first in blocks with 1.1 per game.
March Madness bracket & live odds