Mayweather McGregor II: A Publicity Stunt You Can Bet On

Posted By Marc Meltzer on March 26, 2018 - Last Updated on March 27, 2018
Mayweather McGregor II

Las Vegas sportsbooks are highly regulated and don’t step too far out on a limb with what bets they offer. That said, it’s rare to see a game or match that isn’t confirmed, or close to being confirmed in this case, available to bet in a Las Vegas sportsbook. However, the Westgate Superbook is already taking bets on a potential UFC fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.

Will MayMac II actually happen? Probably not.

The boxing match between Mayweather and McGregor was a smashing success. There’s good reason for the fighters and fans of the fighters to have some kind of interest in seeing the two in the ring again.

Not only did the boxing match generate a lot of excitement it made more than $600 million in revenue around the world. The Nevada Gaming Control Board doesn’t separate events but they estimate that the betting handle for the boxing match was approximately $65 million in Nevada alone. This broke the previous boxing match handle of about $50 million from Mayweather vs. Pacquiao.

There’s money to be made for the fighters but at what cost? Mayweather is known to be very protective of his boxing record. While the financial gain may be important, it could hurt the reputation of the boxer that has never lost a fight.

Mayweather is 41 years old and has never practiced or had a real MMA fight before. He did pose for a picture in an octagon. I guess that was cool.

Come at the king, you best not miss…

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

Will people wager on Mayweather McGregor II? Probably.

If nothing else, the Instagram video got people talking. There’s so much talk that the Westgate Superbook in Las Vegas decided to make odds on the potential fight.

  • Conor McGregor -1000
  • Floyd Mayweather +650

The Westgate is the only casino in Las Vegas offering odds for the potential Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight. These odds are good as long as the fight is in an MMA Octagon and takes place by Sept. 1, 2019.

McGregor’s odds are too short

The current odds imply that McGregor has more than a 90% chance to win the fight. Saying that Floyd Mayweather almost a 10% chance to win in a more complex form of fighting he’s never even practiced seems a bit short.

McGregor had about a 16.67% probability to beat Mayweather when their boxing match odds opened as +500. MMA fighters practice boxing as one of the disciplines of their sport. Even though McGregor practices kicking and wrestling, he’s primarily known as a stand-up fighter — a striker. Mayweather has never practiced MMA or had a real fight.

While this may be interesting, the majority seem to think this is just another publicity stunt. It probably is, but it’s a publicity stunt you can wager on. Is it worth putting up $1,000 on McGregor today to potentially win $100 for a fight that may never happen? Maybe, but it also just might be a waste of time.

 

Marc Meltzer Avatar
Written by
Marc Meltzer

Marc Meltzer grew up on the mean streets of the South Bronx. He's the rare combination of Yankees and Jets fan which explains his often contrarian point of view. Marc is a freelance writer and social media consultant. Writing about steak, booze, gambling and Las Vegas is a tough job but somebody has to do it.

View all posts by Marc Meltzer