A first-round NCAA Tournament matchup will see the 5-seed Iowa Hawkeyes (26-9) play against the No. 12 seed Richmond Spiders (23-12) on Thursday at KeyBank Center. The matchup begins at 3:10 PM. Keep reading to find betting insights and statistics to help place a wager on the Hawkeyes’ (to win on the moneyline) game against the Spiders ( ).
BetMGM March Madness Special Offer! Bet $10 on a moneyline and win $200 if either team makes a 3-pointer!
Iowa vs Richmond Betting Odds
Iowa vs Richmond Betting Analysis
When Iowa has the basketball, they will look to 6’8” sophomore forward Keegan Murray. At the start of the season, Murray quickly established himself as one of the best scorers in the country, putting up more than 23 PPG to go with nearly 9 rebounds. Soon after, Murray entered the conversation for ‘Naismith Player of the Year’. In order for Iowa to win games in the NCAA Tournament, Murray must continue to play at an extremely high level.
For Richmond, who upset conference favorite Davidson in the A-10 Championship to secure its bid, they also must rely upon stardom. Spiders PG Jacob Gilyard must play a major role in protecting the basketball whilst also slowing down the pace in order to disrupt Iowa’s offensive rhythm. Richmond commits the 12th-fewest turnovers per game and must protect the ball again against Iowa’s defense.
Although Iowa is one of the hottest teams in the country, and has some very impressive metrics including a top-five ranking in both turnovers per game and turnovers per play, Iowa remains overvalued in the market due to their Big 10 Championship; therefore, Richmond has sufficient value to cover a 10-point spread.
Iowa Offense Vs. Richmond Defense
|Iowa Offense||Stats (Rank)||Richmond Defense|
|83.8 (4)||Points/Gm||68.3 (152)|
|70.0 (93)||Possessions/Game||69.5 (215)|
|46.4 (50)||Field Goal %||44.4 (241)|
|36.8 (39)||3PT %||34.4 (231)|
|53.6 (47)||Effective FG %||50.6 (232)|
|57.3 (37)||True Shooting %||51.5 (125)|
Richmond Offense Vs. Iowa Defense
|Richmond Offense||Stats (Rank)||Iowa Defense|
|71.7 (156)||Points/Gm||71.3 (243)|
|66.7 (247)||Possessions/Game||70.2 (249)|
|44.4 (147)||Field Goal %||43.7 (201)|
|33.8 (187)||3PT %||33.1 (162)|
|51.5 (122)||Effective FG %||49.8 (191)|
|55.2 (114)||True Shooting %||52.2 (164)|
Iowa Betting Insights
- Iowa has compiled a 22-13-0 ATS record so far this year.
- The Hawkeyes have covered the spread nine times this season (9-5 ATS) when playing as at least 9.5-point favorites.
- A total of 22 out of Iowa’s 35 games this season have hit the over.
- In 22 games this season, Iowa and its opponents have gone over 150.5 total points.
- The average point total in Hawkeyes games this season is 150.1, 0.4 points fewer than this matchup’s over/under.
Richmond Betting Insights
- Richmond is 16-18-1 ATS this year.
- In Richmond’s 35 chances this season, the combined scoring has gone over the point total 14 times.
- Richmond has played 10 games this season that have had more than 150.5 combined points scored.
- The average total for Spiders games this season is 140.6 points, 9.9 fewer points than this game’s over/under.
Iowa Key Players
- Keegan Murray leads the Hawkeyes in scoring (23.6 points per game) and rebounding (8.6 rebounds per game).
- Joe Toussaint paces the team with 3.2 assists per game.
- Jordan Bohannon is the top three-point shooter for the Hawkeyes, connecting on 2.5 per game.
- Toussaint leads the team with 1.5 steals per game. Murray collects 2.0 blocks a game to pace Iowa.
Richmond Key Players
- Tyler Burton is at the top of the Spiders scoring and rebounding leaderboards with 16.3 points per game and 7.7 rebounds per game this season.
- Jacob Gilyard holds the title of Richmond assist leader, dishing out 5.4 assists per game this season.
- Gilyard makes more threes per game than any other member of the Spiders, averaging 2.6 treys per game.
- Nobody on Richmond grabs more steals than Gilyard (3.1 per game) or blocks more shots than Burton (0.5 per game).
March Madness bracket & live odds