Horse racing has not been immune to the COVID-19 crisis. The majority of tracks in the US were shut down, including renowned racetracks like Churchill Downs, Santa Anita and Belmont Park. As they reopened in mid-May and June for Belmont Park and the Belmont Stakes, fans have been able to enjoy watching and wagering on horse racing.
A handful of tracks are still running on schedule, and as more tracks open without spectators at the tracks, racing fans and bettors are able to enjoy horse racing and the Sports of Kings again.
The following tracks are running Thoroughbred racing on these days:
- Gulfstream Park: (Thursday – Sunday)
- Charles Town Racing: (Thursday – Saturday)
- Saratoga: (Wednesday – Sunday)
- Del Mar Racetrack: (Friday – Sunday)
- Laurel Park: (Friday – Sunday)
- Monmouth Park: (Friday – Sunday)
- Ellis Park: (Friday – Sunday)
- Prairie Meadows: (Friday – Monday)
- Mountaineer Park: (Sunday – Tuesday)
- Canterbury Park: (Tuesday – Thursday)
- Parx Racing: (Monday – Wednesday)
- Louisiana Downs: (Monday – Wednesday & Saturday)
- Indiana Grand: (Monday – Thursday)
- Thistledown: (Monday – Thursday)
- Colonial Downs: (Monday – Wednesday)
- Emerald Downs: (Wednesday & Thursday)
On this page you’ll find daily racing schedules, betting odds and news from selected and notable tracks that are still open. Be sure to check back every day for the latest.
Racing schedule and betting odds: Friday, Aug. 14
- All listed Odds are Morning Line
|Race||Time||Details||Betting Favorite||Live Odds|
|R1||12:00 p.m. ET||12 runners | 1 M | Turf||Uncle Andrew (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R2||12:29 p.m. ET||7 runners I 1 M I Dirt||Picasso Moon (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R3||12:58 p.m. ET||8 runners I 1 1/16 M I Turf||Wise to Listen (3/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R4||1:30 p.m. ET||6 runners I 1 M I Dirt||No Getting Over Me (6/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R5||2:02 p.m. ET||11 runners I 1 M I Turf||Miss My Macho (3/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R6||2:34 p.m. ET||7 runners I 6 F I Dirt||Solid as a Rock (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R7||3:06 p.m. ET||10 runners I 1 M I Turf||Big Tina (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R8||3:40 p.m. ET||8 runners I 1 M I Dirt||Brasstown (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R9||4:14 p.m. ET||12 runners I 1 1/8 M I Turf||Mystical Moon (9/5)||Bet at TVG|
|Race||Time||Details||Betting Favorite||Live Odds|
|R1||1:10 p.m. ET||7 runners I 6.5 F I Dirt||Spanish Peaks (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R2||1:44 p.m. ET||7 runners I 5.5 F I Turf||Notorious R B G (7/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R3||2:20 p.m. ET||8 runners I 7 F I Dirt||Hetty G. (3/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R4||2:54 p.m. ET||7 runners I 1 1/16 M I Inner Turf||Altea (9/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R5||3:28 p.m. ET||10 runners I 5.5 F I I Turf||Its a Wrap (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R6||4:04 p.m. ET||9 runners I 6.5 F I Dirt||Clench (5/2) Entry||Bet at TVG|
|R7||4:40 p.m. ET||10 runners I 5.5 F I Turf||Fig Jelly (8/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R8||4:14 p.m. ET||8 runners I 6 F I Dirt||Tale of the Union (8/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R9||5:46 p.m. ET||9 runners I 1 3/16 I Turf||Voting Control (5/2) Entry||Bet at TVG|
|R10||6:18 p.m. ET||12 runners I 1 M I Inner Turf||Lucky Latkes (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|Race||Time||Details||Betting Favorite||Live Odds|
|R1||5:00 p.m. ET||7 runners I 1 M 70 yards I Dirt||Sacred Union (8/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R2||5:25 p.m. ET||8 runners I 1 M I Turf||Itsgottabernyway (9/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R3||5:52 p.m. ET||8 runners I 5.5 F I Dirt||No Cents (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R4||6:20 p.m. ET||8 runners I 1 M I Turf||C'Est Mardi (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R5||6:49 p.m. ET||9 runners I 1 1/16 M I Dirt||Escape Velocity (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R6||7:19 p.m. ET||9 runners I 1 1/16 M I Turf||Volador (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|Race||Time||Details||Betting Favorite||Live Odds|
|R1||5:00 p.m. ET||9 runners I 5 F I Turf||Rakassah (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R2||5:35 p.m. ET||5 runners I 5.5 F I Dirt||Stars of Bluegrass (2/1)||Bet at TVG|
|R3||6:08 p.m. ET||8 runners I 5 F I Turf||Hot Rod Charlie (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R4||6:39 p.m. ET||8 runners I 1 M I Dirt||Perfect Ice Storm (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R5||7:09 p.m. ET||6 runners I 1 M I Turf||Raymundos Secret (9/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R6||7:39 p.m. ET||12 runners I 6 F I Dirt||Ayra's Dagger (7/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R7||8:09 p.m. ET||9 runners I 5 F I Turf||Jewel Thief (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
|R8||8:39 p.m. ET||8 runners I 1 M I Dirt||First Empress (9/5)||Bet at TVG|
|R9||9:09 p.m. ET||9 runners I 1 1/16 M I Turf||Whooping Jay (5/2)||Bet at TVG|
News And Notes – Daily Tips
- Saturday at Saratoga is the $500K Alabama Stakes (G1) for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/4 Miles. Swiss Skydiver (1/1) is the prohibitive favorite. Also, the $500K Saratoga Derby (G1) on the turf at 1 3/16 Miles with Decoraded Invador (7/5) the favorite.
- Less than a month to go before the special edition of the fall Kentucky Derby, and the field is starting to take shape. Following the final Kentucky Derby Future Wager on Aug. 9, here are the closing odds from Pool 7 for the probable Kentucky Derby field with additional runners still to commit.
- Art Collector (8/1), Attachment Rate (N/A), Authentic (11/1), Caracaro (29/1), Dr. Post (40/1), Enforceable (36/1), Finnick The Fierce (99/1), Honor A. P. (8/1), King Guillermo (19/1), Major Fed (79/1), Max Player (38/1), Ny Traffic (30/1), Sole Volante (29/1), Thousand Words (25/1), Tiz the Law (EVEN)
How to bet on horse racing
Types of horse racing bets can be broken down into four categories: Easy, Moderate, Hard and Difficult.
Easier bets to win
- Win: Pick the winner of the race
- Place: The horse you bet on must finish in first or second
- Show: The horse you bet on must finish in first, second or third
Moderate bets to win
- Exacta: Pick the first two finishers in order
- Quinella: Pick the first two finishers in any order
- Double: Pick the winner of two races in a row
Hard bets to win
- Trifecta: Pick the first three finishers in order
- Superfecta: Pick the first four finishers in order
- Pick 3: Pick the winner of three races in a row
Most difficult bets to win
- Pick 4: Pick the winner of four races in a row
- Pick 5: Pick the winner of five races in a row
- Pick 6: Pick the winner of six races in a row
Open horse racing tracks in the US today
Gulfstream Park (Thursday – Sunday)
Gulfstream Park is located in Hallandale Beach Florida, 17 miles North of Miami. Live Thoroughbred racing takes place at Gulfstream Park from Thursday through Sunday during the Spring-Summer meet which runs April through September. Premium stakes days are on four Saturdays – Aug. 1 and 29, and Sept. 5 and 26. The race schedule consists of 10-12 races that include Claiming, Maiden, Allowance Optional Claiming and Stakes races with purses mostly less than $40,000. The majority of field sizes are 8-12 horses and first post time is 12:45 p.m. ET.
The Championship Meet starts in late November and runs through March with racing Wednesday through Sunday. Nearly 40 graded stakes make the Championship Meet one of the best in the country headlined by the Pegasus World Cup at the end of January and the Florida Derby on the final weekend of March. Track announcer Pete Aiello is one of the best in racing.
Gulfstream Park, led by the powerful Stronach Group, took a stand to continue horse racing during the COVID-19 health crisis despite an executive order from Broward County to close all non-essential businesses. The racing facility is closed to spectators during COVID-19 until further notice. However, there is a free live stream at the Gulfstream Park website and TVG.
Fans can follow horse racing and track updates on Twitter: @GulfstreamPark
Saratoga Race Course (Wednesday – Sunday)
Named one of the world’s greatest sporting venues by Sports Illustrated, the past comes alive in the historic grandstand every summer in Saratoga Springs, which is also home to the National Museum of Racing.
Saratoga’s motto is “Health, History and Horses,” and the culture, charm and unmatched ambiance makes Saratoga a special environment and racing destination.
The ‘Spa’ has held racing annually since 1864 with very few exceptions. Anti-gambling legislation stopped summer racing at Saratoga in 1911 and 1912, and World War II suspended racing at Saratoga from 1943-45. The 2020 summer meet was shortened to 40 days due to the worldwide coronavirus pandemic and no spectators are allowed at the track.
Saratoga has a 1 1/8 mile, 9 furlong dirt race and a 1 mile, 8 furlong turf track known as the Mellon Turf Course. There is also an inner turf track which is 7 furlongs.
In total, 16 Grade I races are held annually at Saratoga. August races of most interest include:
- Aug. 1: $300,000 H. Allen Jerkens Memorial (G1)
- Aug. 1: $250,000 Bowling Green (G2)
- Aug. 1: $750,000 Whitney (G1) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Classic
- Aug. 1: $500,000 Personal Ensign (G1) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Distaff
- Aug. 8: $1 million Travers Stakes (G1) – Kentucky Derby points (100-40-20-10)
- Aug. 8: $300,000 Ballerina (G1) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Filly & Mare Sprint
- Aug. 8: $300,000 Test (G1)
- Aug. 15: $500,000 Alabama (G1) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Distaff
- Aug. 15: $500,000 Saratoga Derby
- Aug. 22: $400,000 Fourstar Dave (G1) – “Win and You’re In’ to TVG Mile
- Aug. 23: $500,000 Diana (G1)
- Aug. 29: $500,000 Sword Dancer (G2) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Turf
- Aug. 29: $300,000 Forego (G1)
Fans can follow horse racing and track updates on Twitter: @TheNYRA
Del Mar Racetrack (Friday – Sunday)
Del Mar reopened for racing on July 10. But the beautiful seaside track north of San Diego cancelled racing the weekend of July 17-19 amid the coronavirus pandemic. A total of 15 jockeys and seven track workers tested positive for COVID-19.
“Where the Turf meets the Surf” is the slogan for one of the most picturesque sporting venues in America. The Grandstand overlooks the Pacific Ocean with mesmerizing panoramic views all part of the experience. It combines glamour, sophistication, and the excitement of horse racing.
The main track is exactly one mile long with additional chutes for 7/8 mile and 1 ¼ mile. On the inside of the oval, there is a turf course which can stage races up to 1 1/16th miles.
August stakes races of most interest include:
- Aug. 1: $250,000 Bing Crosby (G1) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Sprint
- Aug. 1: $100,000 Shared Belief Stakes – Kentucky Derby points race (50-20-10-5)
- Aug. 2: $250,000 Clement L. Hirsch (G1) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Distaff
- Aug. 22: $500,000 TVG Pacific Classic (G1) – “Win and You’re In’ to BC Classic
- Aug. 22: $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (G2) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Distaff
- Aug. 22: $250,000 Del Mar Oaks (G1)
- Aug. 29: $150,000 Pat O’Brien (G2) – “Win and You’re In” to BC Dirt Mile
Fans can follow horse racing and track updates on Twitter: @DelMarRacing
Charles Town Racing (Thursday – Saturday)
Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races is a racetrack and casino just outside the eastern city limits of Charles Town, West Virginia. The track was opened in 1933, and since 1997 it has been operated by Penn National Gaming.
Charles Town will run eight races per night on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from May 14-May 30. Post time each night is 7:00 ET. Along with a standard wagering menu, Charles Town offers “rolling” doubles and Pick 3’s on every race, as well as two Pick 4s per night.
Charles Town has no grass track, and the dirt course is only three-quarters of a mile around. Thus, 6 ½-furlong and 7-furlong races are run around two turns rather than one-turn races. Charles Town’s 1 1/16-mile and 1 ⅛-mile races are conducted around three turns. A number of 4 ½ furlong sprint races are also on the nightly card.
Charles Town will race “spectator free” with strict protocols in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Charles Town is permitting only horses stabled in West Virginia or West Virginia-breds on the grounds. The receiving barn is closed. Thus, trainers who are not allocated stalls at the track must make arrangements to ship into the stalls of a trainer on the grounds.
During the current meet, only locally based jockeys can be named to ride. Jockey’s must have had at least 50 percent of their mounts in 2020 at Charles Town. Any riders coming from another state will be subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine period.
Prior to racing being shutdown March 21, the track was showing early speed bias. Of the 80 races run during March, 70 were sprint races less than 1 mile. There were 29 races won by a horse who led from gate to wire. An additional 21 races were won by horses within 2-lengths of the lead at the quarter pole. So 62% of the races in March were won by front runners or pace pressers.
Fans can follow horse racing and updates on Twitter : @RaceCharlesTown
Closed horse racing tracks in the US
Here is an update on the 2020 closures and cancellations of live thoroughbred racing in the US.
|Aqueduct Racetrack||Queens, NY||Closed until further notice|
|Belmont Park||Elmont, NY||Resumed racing June 3|
|Buffalo Raceway||Hamburg, NY||Closed until further notice|
|Cal-Expo Race Track||Sacramento, CA||Closed until further notice|
|Canterbury Park||Shakopee, MN||Resumed racing June 10|
|Charles Town||Charles Town, WV||Resumed racing May 14|
|Churchill Downs||Louisville, KY||Resumed racing May 16|
|Daytona Beach Kennel Club||Daytona Beach, FL||Closed until further notice|
|Delaware Park||Wilmington, DE||Shortened 65-Day Meet resumed June 17 through Oct. 17|
|Dover Downs||Dover, DE||Closed until further notice|
|Ellis Park||Henderson, KY||Summer Meet July 2 - Aug. 30|
|Emerald Downs||Auburn, WA||Resumed racing June 24|
|Evangeline Downs||Opelousas, LA||Resumed racing June 5|
|Fair Grounds Race Course||New Orleans, LA||Closed until further notice|
|Fairmount Park||Collinsville, IL||Closed until further notice|
|Freehold Raceway||Freehold, NJ||Closed until further notice|
|Golden Gate Fields||Berkeley, CA||Resumed racing May 14|
|Hawthorne Race Course||Cicero, IL||Closed until further notice|
|Hoosier Downs||Shelbyville, IN||Closed until further notice|
|Indiana Grand||Shelbyville, IN||Closed until further notice|
|Keeneland||Lexington, KY||5 day Summer Meet July 8-12. The $600k Blue Grass Stakes is July 11.|
|Laurel Park||Laurel, MD||Resumed racing May 30|
|Lone Star Park||Grand Prairie, TX||Suspended racing again July 5 following May 22 restart|
|Louisiana Downs||Bossier City, LA||Resumed Racing June 6|
|Mahoning Valley||Youngstown, OH||Closed until further notice|
|Meadowlands||East Rutherford, NJ||Closed until further notice|
|Miami Valley||Lebanon, OH||Closed until further notice|
|Monmouth Park||Oceanport, NJ||Summer Meet Opening Day starts July 3. The $1 M Haskell is July 18.
|Monticello Raceway||Monticello, NY||Closed until further notice|
|Mountaineer Park||New Cumberland, WV||Opened May 31|
|Northfield Park||Northfield, OH||Closed until further notice|
|Northville Downs||Northville, MI||Closed until further notice|
|Orange Park Kennel Club||Orange Park, FL||Closed until further notice|
|Palm Beach Kennel Club||West Palm Beach, FL||Closed until further notice|
|Parx Racing||Bensalem, PA||Closed until further notice|
|Penn National Race Course||Grantville, PA||Closed until further notice|
|Pocono Downs||Wilkes-Barre, PA||Closed until further notice|
|Pompano Park||Pompano Beach, FL||Closed until further notice|
|Rillito Park||Tuscon, AZ||Closed until further notice|
|Rosecroft Raceway||Fort Washington, MD||Closed until further notice|
|Sam Houston Race Park||Houston, TX||Closed until further notice|
|Santa Anita Park||Arcadioa, CA||Resumed racing May 15|
|Suffolk Downs||Boston, MA||Closed until further notice|
|Sunland Park Racetrack||Sunland Park, NM||Closed until further notice|
|The Meadows Racetrack||Washington, PA||Closed until further notice|
|Turf Paradise||Phoenix, AZ||Closed until further notice|
|Turfway Park||Florence, KY||Closed until further notice|
|Yonkers Raceway||Yonkers, NY||Closed until further notice|
|Wheeling Island||Wheeling, WV||Closed until further notice|