The Los Angeles Chargers (6-9), winners of three straight, play the Kansas City Chiefs (14-1) on Sunday, January 3, 2021 at Arrowhead Stadium. Los Angeles is a favorite in the matchup and the contest’s over/under is set at .
The betting insights in this article reflect betting data from DraftKings as of December 29, 2020, 2:41 PM ET. See table below for current betting odds and CLICK HERE to bet at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Chargers vs Chiefs Betting Odds
Chargers vs Chiefs Props
Looking to bet on props for this game? Use our prop search tool to find the best odds across legal sportsbooks in the US.
Betting the Total (Over/Under)
- The average total for Chiefs games is 51.7 points, 7.7 more than this game’s over/under.
- Los Angeles and its opponents have combined to score more than 44 in 10 games (66.7% of matchups).
- Kansas City’s contests have gone over 44 points on 10 occasions (66.7% of games).
- The total for this matchup is 44 points, 9.2 fewer than the combined scoring average of the two teams.
- The Chargers are the 21st-highest scoring team in the NFL this year. The Chiefs have scored the second-most points.
- These two teams yield a combined 48.6 points per game, 4.6 higher than the total for this matchup.
- This game features the league’s sixth-ranked (Kansas City) and 24th-ranked (Los Angeles) scoring defenses.
Chargers Betting Insights
- Los Angeles has compiled an 8-7 record against the spread this season.
- The Chargers are just 1-2 ATS when playing as at least 3.5-point favorites.
- Los Angeles’ games have hit the over in eight out of 15 outings this season (53.3%).
Chiefs Betting Insights
- Just eight of Kansas City’s 15 games this year have gone over the point total (46.7% of its outings).
- Kansas City has a losing 7-8 record against the spread.
Chargers vs Chiefs: Head to Head
|Date||Favorite||Home Team||Spread||Total||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Total Yards||Result|
|9/20/2020||Chiefs||Chargers||-8.00||47.00||-360||+300||479-414 LAC||23-20 KC|
|12/29/2019||Chiefs||Chiefs||-9.5||45.5||-400||+340||366-336 LAC||31-21 KC|
|11/18/2019||Chiefs||Chargers||-5.5||52||-245||+210||438-310 LAC||24-17 KC|
When the Chargers Have the Ball
- The Chargers average points scored this season (23.1) and the Chiefs points allowed (21.6) are within 1.5 points of each other.
- In games where Los Angeles score at least 23.1 points this season, they are 3-4 overall and 4-3 against the spread.
- When the Kansas City defense allows 21.6 points or fewer this year, the Chiefs have put together a 9-0 overall record and a 6-3 record against the spread.
- The Chargers hold a 25.3-yard advantage in total yards gained versus total yards allowed compared to the Chiefs defense this season (379.8 to 354.5). The Chargers average 5.4 yards per play while the Chiefs give up 5.6 per play.
- In contests where the Los Angeles offense totals at least their average yard output this season, they are 3-3 against the spread and 2-4 overall.
- When Kansas City allows fewer total yards to opposing offenses than their season average, they are 4-1 against the spread and 5-0 overall this season.
- The Chiefs defense has given up an average of 121.3 yards per game to opposing running games this season. That is 11.4 more yards than the Chargers have gained running the football in 2020 (109.9).
- In games where the Los Angeles rushing attack runs for at least their season average, the Chargers are 2-5 overall and 4-3 against the spread.
- When Kansas City limits opposing teams to 121.3 rushing yards or fewer this year, they are 4-5 against the spread and 9-0 overall.
- The Chargers have turned the ball over 1.1 times per game this season, while the Chiefs have averaged 1.5 takeaways per contest.
- In games where they turn the football over 1.1 times or fewer this season, Los Angeles is 6-5 overall and 7-4 against the spread.
- Kansas City is 2-2 against the spread and 4-0 overall this season when they force at least 1.5 turnovers in a game.
When the Chiefs Have the Ball
- The Chiefs rack up 30.1 points per game, 3.1 more than the Chargers surrender per outing (27).
- When Kansas City scores at least 30.1 points, it is 5-4 against the spread and 8-1 overall.
- Los Angeles has a 4-3 record against the spread and a 3-4 record overall in games when it allows opponents to score 23.1 points or less.
- The Chiefs collect 77.2 more yards per game (425.7), than the Chargers allow per matchup (348.5). The Chiefs average 6.3 yards per play, while the Chargers allow 5.5 per play.
- Los Angeles has a 3-6 record ATS and a 4-5 record overall when holding its opponents to 348.5 yards or less.
- This season, the Chiefs average 116.1 rushing yards per game, 8.3 fewer yards per game than the Chargers allow per contest (124.4).
- When Kansas City runs for at least 116.1 yards, it compiled a 4-3 ATS record and a 7-0 overall record.
- This season, Los Angeles is 4-4 against the spread and 3-5 overall when holding opponents to no more than 124.4 rushing yards.
- This year, the Chiefs turn the ball over one time per game, 0.2 fewer turnovers per game than the 1.2 the Chargers force on average.
- Kansas City is 7-6 against the spread and 12-1 overall when it turns the ball over one or fewer times.
- This season, Los Angeles has a 3-1 record against the spread and a 3-1 record overall when it forces at least 1.2 turnovers.
Chargers Players to Watch
- Justin Herbert leads the team with 4,034 passing yards (288.1 yards per game) and has a 66.3% completion percentage this year (374-of-564) while throwing 28 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also has 225 rushing yards on 49 carries with four touchdowns, averaging 16.1 yards per game.
- Austin Ekeler has churned out a team-high 512 rushing yards (56.9 yards per game) and scored one touchdown in nine games. He has tacked on 48 catches for 370 yards (41.1 receiving yards per game) with one receiving touchdown.
- In 10 games, Kalen Ballage has rushed for 267 yards on 78 carries (26.7 ypg), with two rushing touchdowns. Ballage also figures in the passing game, catching 29 passes for 166 (16.6 ypg).
- Mike Williams has reeled in 42 passes for 648 yards and four touchdowns. He has been targeted 78 times and averages 46.3 yards per game.
- Jalen Guyton’s statline this year shows 28 catches for 511 yards and three touchdowns. He puts up 34.1 receiving yards per game and has been targeted 51 times.
- Jerry Tillery has three sacks to lead the team, and has also collected three TFL and 27 tackles.
- In 15 games, Kenneth Murray has collected 105 tackles, five TFL, and one sack.
- Michael Davis has a team-high three interceptions and has tacked on 59 tackles, two TFL, and 13 passes defended.
Chiefs Players to Watch
- Patrick Mahomes has thrown for 4,740 yards while completing 66.3% of his passes (390-of-588), with 38 touchdowns and six interceptions (316 yards per game). He’s also carried the ball 63 times for 302 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 20.1 yards per game.
- Le’Veon Bell has taken 82 attempts for a team-leading 328 rushing yards (29.8 yards per game) while scoring two touchdowns in 11 games.
- Travis Kelce has been targeted 145 times and has 105 catches to lead the team with 1,416 yards (94.4 ypg) and scored 11 touchdowns.
- Tyreek Hill has also chipped in with 87 catches for 1,276 yards and 15 touchdowns. He has been targeted 134 times and averages 85.1 receiving yards per game.
- Mecole Hardman has collected 535 yards on 39 passes with four touchdowns, averaging 35.7 yards per game on 60 targets.
- Chris Jones has 7.5 sacks to lead the team, and has also racked up three TFL and 36 tackles.
- Daniel Sorensen has collected 92 tackles, two TFL, and three interceptions this year.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from