Jaylen Brown leads the Boston Celtics (3-2) into a matchup with the Detroit Pistons (0-4) after scoring 42 points in a 126-107 win over the Grizzlies. The Pistons are underdogs in the matchup on Friday, January 1, 2021, which starts at 7:00 PM ET on FS-DET. The point total is for the matchup.
The betting insights in this article reflect odds data from FanDuel Sportsbook as of January 1, 2021, 12:40 AM ET. See table below for current betting odds.
Celtics vs Pistons Betting Odds
Celtics vs Pistons Props
Looking to bet on props for this game? Use our prop search tool to find the best odds across legal sportsbooks in the US.
Injury Report as of January 1
Celtics: Romeo Langford: Out (Right wrist), Javonte Green: Day To Day (Health protocols), Kemba Walker: Out (Left knee)
Pistons: Blake Griffin: Out (Concussion protocol), Killian Hayes: Day To Day (Ankle), Jahlil Okafor: Day To Day (Right ankle)
Celtics and Pistons Records ATS
- Boston had a 50-34-5 record ATS last year.
- The Celtics were 7-6 against the spread in 2019-20 when they were at least a 9-point favorite.
- 44 of 89 Boston games last season (49.4%) resulted in a total greater than the contest’s over/under.
- With a 27-37-1 record ATS, Detroit did not always covered the spread last season.
- 41.5% of Detroit’s 65 games last season fell below the over/under.
Head to Head
In the last matchup between the teams on Wednesday, the Pistons defeated the Celtics 116-103. Gordon Hayward led the Celtics with 25 points, and Sekou Doumbouya paced the Pistons with 24. The Pistons covered the spread as 9.5-point underdogs, and the teams combined to score 219 total points to cover the 218.5-point over/under.
|Date||Favorite||Home Team||Spread||Total||Favorite Moneyline||Underdog Moneyline||Game Type||Result|
|1/15/2020||Celtics||Celtics||-9.5||218.5||-447||346||Regular Season||116-103 DET*|
|12/20/2019||Celtics||Celtics||-9||211.5||-477||361||Regular Season||114-93 BOS*|
|2/13/2019||–||Celtics||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||118-110 BOS|
|12/15/2018||–||Pistons||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||113-104 DET|
|10/30/2018||–||Celtics||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||108-105 BOS|
|10/27/2018||–||Pistons||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||109-89 BOS|
|2/23/2018||–||Pistons||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||110-98 BOS|
|12/10/2017||–||Pistons||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||91-81 BOS|
|11/27/2017||–||Celtics||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||118-108 DET|
|2/26/2017||–||Pistons||–||–||–||–||Regular Season||104-98 BOS|
- 1/15/2020 DNP – Celtics: Jayson Tatum; Pistons: Luke Kennard, Blake Griffin, Reggie Jackson
- 12/20/2019 DNP – Celtics: Gordon Hayward, Marcus Smart; Pistons: Luke Kennard, Blake Griffin, Reggie Jackson
- Boston’s games last year went over the point total for Friday’s matchup over/under (215.5 points) in 56.2% of opportunities (50 out of 89 matchups).
- In Detroit’s games last year, the competing teams combined for a higher point total than Friday’s matchup over/under in 40 out of 66 matchups (60.6%).
- On average, the Celtics saw a 219.6 over/under in their games last season, 4.1 more points than the over/under in this contest.
- A difference of 2.5 points separates the average total points bet in Pistons’ games (218 points) and this contest’s over/under (215.5 points).
- The Celtics had an average implied point total of 111.6 last season, which is 0.4 points lower than their implied total in Friday’s game (112).
- Last season, Boston scored more than its implied point total for this matchup (112) 49 times.
- The 112.1-point average implied total last season for the Pistons is 9.1 more points than the team’s 103-point implied total in this matchup.
- Detroit scored more than 103 points in 45 games last season.
- Last season, the Celtics were the NBA’s ninth-highest scoring team (112.8 PPG), while the Pistons allowed their opponents the 15th-fewest points per game (110.8) in the league.
- The Celtics totaled 539 more points than their opponents last season (six per game on average), while the Pistons were out-scored by 235 total points (3.6 per game average differential).
- The Celtics scoring leader is Brown, who puts up 28.0 points per game.
- Brown’s PRA prop total for the contest is set at 29.5, 6.3 lower than his season average of 35.8.
- Marcus Smart leads Boston with 5.6 assists per game and Jayson Tatum paces the squad with 8.2 rebounds per outing.
- Smart’s PRA prop total for the game is set at 22.5, 3.3 greater than his season average of 19.2.
- Tatum makes 3.0 threes per game to lead the Celtics.
- Tatum’s three pointers made prop over/under for the game is set at 2.5, 0.5 shots less than his season average of 3.0.
- Boston’s blocks leader is Daniel Theis, who averages 1.0 per game. Jeff Teague leads the team averaging 2.0 steals a contest.
- Teague’s steals prop over/under for the game is set at 0.5, 1.5 steals less than his season average of 2.0.
- Derrick Rose averaged 18.1 points per game last season while tacking on 5.6 assists.
- Mason Plumlee averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Delon Wright collected 1.2 per game. Jerami Grant averaged 0.8 blocks an outing.
Powered By Data Skrive using data from