There are dozens of new sportsbook and sports betting sites available in the United States each year. TheLines expert betting team has curated and ranked the top new sportsbooks for those looking for a new sports betting experience. Here is our list for the best new sports betting sites for October 1, 2023.
Best New Sports Betting Sites
The Top 5 New Sportsbooks in the US
Whenever a new US market launches online sports betting, bettors will find a variety of sports betting apps available for download. Keep in mind, not every sports betting site will be live from Day 1. In newer states like Ohio and Massachusetts, for example, top sportsbooks like Caesars, FanDuel and BetMGM were ready to go from the start. However, both states along with mature markets such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey still have room for additional skins. Future states like Kentucky and North Carolina are expected to follow a similar pattern.
Here is a closer look at the top five new sportsbooks in the US. No matter which one you decide to go with, TheLines is the place to find some of the best promo offers available to new customers.
1. Caesars Sportsbook
Caesars Sportsbook is a newer sports betting site as a result of parent company Caesars Entertainment purchasing William Hill’s US operations. The strong brand recognition comes from the company’s land-based casino portfolio, including Caesars Palace on the Las Vegas Strip.
The welcome/sign-up offer for new customers is a first bet of $1,000 on Caesars.
|Welcome Bonus||$1,000 First Bet on Caesars|
|Apple App Rating||4.6|
|Google Play Rating||4.4|
|States Available||AZ, CO, IN, IA, IL, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA & WV|
|Date of Entry||September 2018 – NJ|
- Caesars Rewards loyalty program
- Customer support
- Cost of promos
- No standalone sportsbook app
2. BetMGM Sportsbook
Like Caesars, BetMGM offers customers a strong online/land-based connection as MGM Resorts owns casino hotels across the United States including Las Vegas and Atlantic City. In a newer sports betting market like Massachusetts there is MGM Springfield. This matters because the loyalty rewards you earn from sports betting can be used at land-based properties. BetMGM offers solid odds boosts when it comes to major sports.
As far as new customer promotions go, BetMGM’s offer is measures up with the top competitors.
|Welcome Bonus||Up to $1,500 back in bonus bets if you don’t win (Excludes DC, MS, NY & ON)|
|Apple App Rating||4.8|
|Google Play Rating||4.5|
|States Available||AZ, CO, DC, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, MS, NJ, OH, NV, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY|
|Date of Entry||August 2018 – NJ|
- Odds boosts
- Rewards can be used at MGM Resorts
- Limited customer service live chat
- Speed of app compared to competitors
3. BetRivers Sportsbook
Depending which sports betting market you reside in, you might be familiar with the PlaySugarHouse name. However, parent company Rush Street have since switched to BetRivers branding to match the land-based Rivers name.
The sign-up offer is not as strong compared to other top sports betting sites, but the overall betting menu is extensive. When it comes to withdrawing funds, BetRivers customers can take advantage of some fast payout options.
|Welcome Bonus||Second chance bet up to $250 in CO, NJ.
Second chance bet up to $100 in AZ, IA, OH, WV.
|Apple App Rating||4.5|
|Google Play Rating||4.4|
|States Available||AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, LA, MD, MI, OH, NJ, NY, PA, VA & WV|
|Date of Entry||August 2018 – NJ (as PlaySugarHouse)|
- Withdrawal payout speed
- House special betting options
- Welcome offer doesn’t measure up with top competitors
- Lack of standalone casino app in markets that offer sports betting and casino
4. FanDuel Sportsbook
After making the smooth and natural transition from the daily fantasy sports world, FanDuel has become one of the biggest and most successful new sports betting sites. We’re talking both market share and revenue. The company has since expanded to offer separate sports and casino apps. FanDuel offers some of the strongest odds boosts available to bettors, especially during NFL betting season.
The welcome offer is solid.
|Welcome Bonus||Bet $5, Get $200 in Bonus Bets|
|Apple App Rating||4.8|
|Google Play Rating||4.7|
|States Available||AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY|
|Date of Entry||September 2018 – NJ|
- Odds boosts
- Lack of loyalty program
- Could use more banking options
5. Bet365 Sportsbook
Bet365 is one of the biggest, most successful sport betting brands from across the Atlantic. Unlike the other new sports betting sites listed above, bet365 is only live in five states so far. We expect this will change in the years ahead, especially with markets like North Carolina and Kentucky entering the fray.
The $365 in bonus bets after making a $1 wager is attractive whether you’re into NFL betting or MLB betting.
|Welcome Bonus||Bet $1 get $365 in Bonus Bets|
|Apple App Rating||4.7|
|Google Play Rating||2.0|
|States Available||CO, IA, NJ, OH & VA|
|Date of Entry||June 2019 – NJ|
- Welcome offer for new customers
- Super boosts
- Limited availability to US customers
- Banking options
How We Rank New Sports Betting Sites
TheLines team weighs several factors when ranking the different sports betting sites available to bettors. Brand recognition and popularity might be enough to attract the casual gambler, but there is much more to the legal sports betting experience. Our ranking system takes the following components into consideration:
- Current sign-up bonus – How does it compares to top competitors?
- Design/Navigation – The design or layout of a sports betting site can be an immediate turnoff. After passing the initial test, is the navigation user-friendly or is it difficult to finding specific sports betting menus and promos?
- Overall betting menu – How do the in-game/live betting menus stack up against the field?
- Odds Boosts – Does the sportsbook offer odds boosts and how strong are they? Are they offered for every major sport?
- Strength of daily deals/promos – Online sportsbook websites are constantly offering deals that are attractive to bettors. Are they strong enough for the average customer to keep coming back or are the promos being offered by competitors much stronger?
- Parlays – How easy it to build a Same Game Parlay (SGP) and how creative can you get when building the bet?
Comparing The Best New Sportsbooks
When trying to decide which one is the best new sportsbook to try is, there are a number of factors to consider. Welcome offers and the sports betting menu are obvious ones. But if you’re a gambler who likes NFL betting combined with some live blackjack, you might be wondering about which brands offer a shared wallet. Right now, only a handful of North American online markets offer sports and casino. Here’s a closer look at how the best new sportsbooks compare:
|Sportsbook||Welcome Bonus||# Of Sports To Bet On||Live Betting||Live Streaming||Shared Casino Wallet|
|Caesars Sportsbook||$1,000 First Bet on Caesars||20+||Y||Y||Y|
|BetMGM||Up to $1,000 in Bonus Bets||20+||Y||Y||Y|
|BetRivers||Second Chance Bet up to $250||20+||Y||Y||Y|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Bet $5, Get $200 in Bonus Bets||20+||Y||Y||Y|
|bet365||Bet $1, Get $200 in Bonus Bets||20+||Y||Y||Y|
Sport Betting Sites Coming Soon
One thing about legal US online markets is you’ll constantly hear rumblings about operators preparing to launch a new sports betting site. Rumblings do not necessarily mean the apps will debut anytime soon. Instead of starting a new sports betting sites rumor mill, will stick with the most likely names to make the coming soon list.
The company is a fairly new player in the US sports betting business and has made national headlines regarding its $150-million offer to buy PointsBet Sportsbook’s US assets. If the deal ends up going through, Fanatics will immediately gain market access to established states such as New Jersey and New York. For now, Fanatics Sportsbook is only live in Tennessee, Ohio, Massachusetts and Maryland.
The global brand is an established player in the NJ sports betting market, but Hard Rock is not a name where hear too much when mentioning new sports betting sites. So far Arizona, Indiana, Iowa, Tennessee, and Virginia are the only other states where you can find the Hard Rock app.
Bally Bet is an intriguing name because the new sports betting site has been live in Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, New York, and Virginia. However, Bally Bet is no longer accepting bets or wagers as of Thursday, June 22, 2023. There is a note on the website that parent company Bally is “working hard behind the scenes on the new Bally Bet experience.”
States Launching New Sports Betting Sites
Two states are in the process of launching new sportsbooks in 2023 and 2024. In 2023, Kentucky sportsbooks will launch in time for users to wager on the Super Bowl. Up to 30 sports betting apps are permitted to launch in the state, so expect to see the top brands listed above.
North Carolina also recently passed sports betting legislation, but North Carolina sportsbooks likely won’t be available until early 2024.
Tips For Choosing A New Sportsbook
When deciding on which new sportsbook to try first, the decision isn’t so easy. Operators roll out impressive platforms and are constantly making improvements. While you probably have your own sportsbook checklist, TheLines offers up four tips worth considering when choosing between new sports betting sites:
- Banking options – Unlike when visiting a land-based casino where transactions are competed at the slot machine, table or cage, sports betting sites offer a wide range of deposit/withdrawal options include PayPal, ACH, credit cards and Play+ cards. Factor in how quickly deposits will be available and which sportsbooks offer the fastest payouts.
- Promos/odds boosts – Welcome offers can be extremely attractive, but they’re only available when making your first deposit. Besides looking at who has the best sign-up deals, click on the promos page and evaluate what other offers you’ll be able to enjoy after becoming a customer. What kind of odds boosts are available? Make sure there are solid promos available for the sports you bet the most.
- Rewards – If you like frequenting Paris Las Vegas or the Borgata in Atlantic City, those tier credits and rewards earned from online sports betting will come in handy. If you frequent Caesars Entertainment or MGM Resorts properties, Caesars Sportsbook or BetMGM might be a better fit than say FanDuel or bet365.
- Look/Appearance/Navigation – With there being so many sports betting apps available to users, you want it to be as user friendly as possible. How easy it to find your desired betting menu and navigate through the app? Do you like the overall look of the sportsbook? This may seem minor compared to the other concepts mentioned above, but still important. If you’re having trouble finding a game or player prop, it’s probably best to check out other options before making a final decision.
Sportsbooks to Avoid
When choosing between new sports betting sites, make sure the app or online sportsbook is legal and being regulated. The way you can tell is the app will often include the logos for the state you’re placing bets in such as the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) as well as RG or responsible gambling.
No matter where you’re placing sports wagers, Bovada, MyBookies, and BetUS are a few brands bettors need to avoid. All three fall under the illegal and unregulated category. Because these offshore sportsbooks are not being monitored by state regulators, they’re unsafe to use. More importantly, they are not required to use the same safeguards to protect a customer’s account.
You also will not find the extensive menu of responsible gambling tools that operators like Caesars, BetMGM, and others offer.
New Sports Betting Sites FAQ
No matter what state you reside, Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM, and BetRivers Sportsbook are among the best new sports betting sites. FanDuel and bet365 are a couple others. As far deciding which is “the best,” it depends on what features are most important to you.
Thanks to the governors signing legislation, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Vermont are all expected to roll out new sports betting sites by 2024.
There are now more US states that have legal sports betting compared to those that do not. Ohio and Massachusetts are the two newest markets. There are other states like North Carolina and Delaware where only retail wagering is available while Mississippi offers limited mobile betting action.
Each state is required to establish and pass its own sports betting legislation that includes legal gambling age, licensing fees, tax rates, and responsible gambling measures specifically geared toward to that market.
New sports betting sites such as Caesars, BetMGM, BetRivers, FanDuel, and Bet365 all have strong offers that can be collected after making your initial deposit. The amounts can range between $250 to over $1,000, based on your initial deposit. The best promo offers currently available can be found on this page.