BetMGM is the product of a joint venture between gaming giant MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings, which operates under the name Roar Digital. It currently is operational in Michigan, Virginia, New Jersey, Indiana, West Virginia, Nevada, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Iowa and Colorado.
Virginia is also slated to join the BetMGM online sportsbook roster in the near future, with other states sure to follow.
The platform was originally known as playMGM, with the sportsbook portion opening its doors in the summer of 2018. The following year, Roar Digital took control, and a rebranded operator known as BetMGM was born. On the main BetMGM website, customers have direct access to a hat-trick of gaming options: casino, poker and sports betting.
We’re going to take a detailed look at the last option on the list. From what the BetMGM Sportsbook has to offer for new users to all the sports you can bet on, we’ll cover it all. Let’s begin with an exclusive bonus for our readers and our BetMGM Sportsbook bonus code.
BetMGM Sportsbook bonus
If you click on our links to create an account and enter the bonus code up above, you’ll be entitled to a risk-free bet up to $600. This offer is only available for new players at BetMGM Sportsbook.
To qualify, you’ll need to make a deposit of at least $10 within seven days of opening your account. The same applies if you decide to take full advantage of the offer and deposit $600.
BetMGM has put together a bonus offer that’s both simple to understand and worthy of your attention.
BetMGM Sportsbook bonus code
|Online Sportsbook||BETMGM Sportsbook|
|Free Bet||Risk-Free First Bet $600|
|Legal States||VA, MI, NJ, CO, TN, WV, NV, PA, IN & IA|
|Last Verified||February 2021|
Do I need a BetMGM Sportsbook promo or bonus code?
Yes, in order to take full advantage of the risk-free first bet offer, you’ll need to use our BetMGM code: PLAYBONUS.
To create a new account, begin by clicking through on our exclusive links. You’ll be redirected to a new page where you can begin entering your details. When prompted for the code, enter it in the box and you’ll be all set.
From start to finish, the entire sign-up process takes just a couple of minutes, and you’ll be entitled to some extra goodies just for creating an account with our links.
BetMGM Sportsbook rewards program
For players on the BetMGM platform, the MLife program allows users earn points based on how much they play.
Points can be redeemed for perks and awards both on the BetMGM app and at MGM properties around the globe. You can turn your play into free or less-expensive meals, show tickets, or hotel stays.
Is BetMGM legal and safe?
The parent company of BetMGM is Roar Digital, which is a joint venture of MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings. These two massive entities have been around the block several times when it comes to online and mobile gaming rules and regulations.
In short, they know what they’re doing on the legality front. BetMGM has checked off all of the right boxes in all markets entered to date, and it’ll be the same story as the platform expands. Here’s a quick look at where things stand for BetMGM in the following states.
- BetMGM New Jersey: Originally known as playMGM, the platform launched in the Garden State in August 2018 via partnership with the Borgata Casino in Atlantic City. The re-branding to the BetMGM name took place in Sept. 2019.
- BetMGM West Virginia: The BetMGM online and mobile sportsbook debuted in the Mountaineer State in Jan. 2020. It gained access to the market via a deal with The Greenbrier.
- BetMGM Indiana: The Hoosier State welcomed BetMGM in Feb. 2020. The company’s partner in the state is Boyd Gaming’s Belterra Casino Resort in Florence.
- BetMGM Colorado: BetMGM went live in Colorado in May 2020 via a deal with Midnight Rose Hotel & Casino in Cripple Creek.
- BetMGM Tennessee: Legal sports betting went live in Tennessee on Nov. 1, 2020, and BetMGM was one of the first to launch that very day. No partnerships are needed due to the lack of casinos in the Volunteer State.
- BetMGM Pennsylvania: The Pennsylvania launch of the online BetMGM sportsbook arrived just in time for Christmas, 2020. The first day it accepted sign-ups was Dec. 17.
- BetMGM Iowa: The Iowa edition of the BetMGM online sportsbook arrived on January 4, 2021. They are licensed in partnership with the Diamond Jo Casino in Dubuque (though they do not operate the retail sportsbook there).
- BetMGM Michigan: BetMGM was one of the first operators out of the gate when online sportsbooks launched in Michigan in January, 2021, via a partnership with the MGM Grand Detroit.
- BetMGM Virginia: Online sportsbetting in Virginia is entirely online via mobile apps, with no retail sportsbook involved. BetMGM VA launched on January 27, 2021.
BetMGM has its sights set on being one of the premiere destinations for sports betting across the US. To that end, the company is continually working towards entering new legal markets. We can expect the list of places where BetMGM is available to expand in the future.
BetMGM operates under parent company Roar Digital, which is a joint venture of MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings. Those two entities are quite familiar with the rules and regulations surrounding online and mobile gaming, so you can rest assured that BetMGM will be on the right track in both current and future markets.
BetMGM Sportsbook: Creating a new account
Creating an account on BetMGM Sportsbook is similar to signing up for any other reputable online gaming provider. After clicking on our exclusive links, you’ll be brought to a new window. From there, you’ll see a big button labeled “register.”
Once you click on that, you’ll begin the simple process. Here are the different pieces of information you’ll need to enter.
- Email address
- Date of birth
- User ID
- Last four digits of SSN
- Mobile number
All of the information you need to enter is standard. The last four digits of your social are needed to help verify your identity, as are name and address. Be sure to use an email address you check often, as you can opt in for promotional emails to catch the latest offers.
After the above items are entered, you’ll choose the answers to a few security questions. You’ll have to check off a few boxes, including that you understand the terms and conditions. Also, BetMGM will ask you to confirm that you’re 21 years of age or older and legally eligible to play.
Those are the last steps you need to complete. Once you click continue, your new account will be created right away. You’ll be free to poke around the platform and check out all that BetMGM Sportsbook has to offer.
BetMGM sports betting app and review
There’s a BetMGM app available for both iOS and Android users. Here’s what we found when we put both through the paces.
- Availability: Once you’ve created your account via our exclusive links, visit BetMGM on your mobile browser and you’ll be prompted to download the app for your device.
- Speed: Loads fast and performs quickly, no hiccups during our test and we didn’t come across any annoying lags.
- Overall Performance: Solid marks overall, but navigation isn’t quite as smooth as some of the other competitors in the market.
- Markets: Great overall selection and deep bench of niche sports. From major events to obscure offerings, it’s here.
- Live Betting: Dedicated section for current and upcoming events, function works well on mobile.
- Bet Slip: Online betting slip is a little awkward due to placement, but function works perfectly fine on mobile.
- General Layout: Mobile layout is smooth and functional, much better than its online counterpart.
- Cashier: Simple to use, clearly laid out, and a wide range of deposit and withdrawal options to choose from.
A BetMGM app is available for both iPhone and Android users. In order to download it, get your account all set first by clicking on our exclusive links. From there, go to the BetMGM website using the browser on your smartphone or tablet.
Once you do that, you’ll be notified to download the app that corresponds to your device. Follow the instructions on the screen, and you’ll be able to download right away. The whole process can be completed quickly.
As for the BetMGM app itself, it’s smooth and functional like the main website. Everything is optimized to work on a smaller screen, and you can perform all of the same functions as you can on the browser-based platform.
All in all, the app is a little on the plain side in comparison to other offerings out there. If you’re just looking for a basic spot where you can place bets on mobile, then you likely won’t have any complaints. Those expecting something more impressive may be disappointed.
BetMGM Sportsbook browser and desktop review
Once you have created your account with our exclusive links, it’ll naturally be time to explore the BetMGM Sportsbook platform. As far as first impressions go, the first thing you’ll likely notice is that the layout is clean and devoid of too much clutter.
In a nutshell, the browser-based site can be split into five main areas.
- Top Section: At the top of the main site in the upper right is where you’ll find “my account” information and icons for all of the main markets offered. This is also where you’ll find the login button on your next visit.
- Main Lobby: The of the main screen essentially has two parts: a rotating banner of promotions up top, and betting options down below. On default, the lobby will be populated with popular upcoming events. You can change sports and browse live betting opportunities with just a click.
- Left-Hand Menu: The menu that spans the left-hand part of the screen is broken down into two parts. On top, you’ll see links for promotions and some of the most popular sports. Below that is a full list of all of the markets available for betting on BetMGM.
- Right-Hand Side: This portion of the screen is reserved for the betting slip function. As you click on wagers to add to the ticket, they’ll appear here. There’s also a media player in this section that can be used to play available live streams.
- Bottom Section: At the bottom of the main website are several helpful links and additional information about BetMGM. There are also direct links to properties that are part of the MGM Resorts International portfolio.
The site is functional and everything works fine, but there is an oddity to deal with. The right scroll bar is positioned in a strange spot. As opposed to being on the far right of the main window, BetMGM has it positioned to the left of the area reserved for the betting slip.
That means you’ll be scrolling up and down from the center-right part of the screen as opposed to what’s considered standard for websites. The navigation is just fine outside of that; just know that this is a small oddity you’ll have to deal with.
How does BetMGM benefit casual bettors?
Those who are new to betting or only bet once in a while may feel comfortable with a brand they know. BetMGM checks off that box. MGM Resorts International is a big deal in the casino and gaming world, so folks should feel at ease heading there for sports betting.
Getting around online is simple as everything is clearly laid out. There are clickable icons for each sport, as well as a full menu to explore all of the different options. The main betting lobby is instantly populated with your choices once you click on them.
Navigation takes a little getting used to on the web. BetMGM has the main scroll bar positioned in the center of the screen as opposed to the far right. It works fine once you get used to it, but it could certainly be a smoother experience.
Over on the app side, it’s much better. In both spots, all of the main functions work without issue. In addition to being a little better on navigation, our wish list for BetMGM includes an improved help section and additional customer support options.
How does BetMGM benefit seasoned bettors?
The experienced bettor will generally know what to look for. A wide range of markets and bet types, competitive odds and lines, and a decent selection of funding options are among the priority items.
BetMGM is solid on all fronts. The major sports are all well represented, and there’s also a really big selection of those that fall into the niche category. The betting slip function works fine, and you’ll have several different options to consider for deposits and withdrawals.
We shopped the lines for BetMGM versus a number of different operators and came away pleased with what we found. The odds are in line with what the general sports betting marketplace supports, and even slightly better in some cases.
What’s not available at BetMGM Sportsbook
BetMGM has all of the major bases covered. If you want to bet on a big game or event, it’s here. For those looking for smaller sports, you’ll likely be impressed by the wide range of available options.
If something’s not available at BetMGM, it may be due to specific restrictions in the state itself. Here’s a quick run through of what’s frowned upon in specific locales.
- BetMGM NJ: No betting on in-state college teams or on NCAA events that are being held in NJ.
- BetMGM WV: No betting on events in which participants are under 18 years of age.
- BetMGM IN: No wagering on eSports or on amateur athletes under 18.
- BetMGM CO: No prop bets on college sports. No betting on high school or eSports.
- BetMGM MI: No major restrictions.
- BetMGM TN: No in-play wagers on college sporting events.
- BetMGM IA: No in-game prop bets on in-state college teams.
- BetMGM VA: No wagers allowed on in-state college teams.
BetMGM Sportsbook betting options
You’ll be able to place all of the standard bets on BetMGM Sportsbook, and live betting opportunities are also available. Here’s a look at the different kinds of wagers you can place.
- Money Line: This is the most basic type of bet you’ll find for wagering on games. You’re simply choosing the winner out of the favorite and underdog. Odds for favorites will be negative, such as -110, while underdogs will have a positive value like +120.
- Point Spread: For certain sports, point spreads are used by oddsmakers in a bid to even out the action. Favorites will need to win by a certain amount of points in order to “cover” the spread. You can bet on the underdog plus the points, and if it keeps the margin under the spread, you have yourself a winner.
- Totals: A totals bet is a wager that revolves around a benchmark total of expected points scored in a game. Oddsmakers will set the bar, and bettors need to decide if they think the total points will go “over” or “under” the benchmark.
- Prop Bets: Prop bets are available on nearly every major game and event. They are essentially side bets on something that might happen during the contest. An example would be a prop on total points scored in a half, or a specific accomplishment by a player in the game.
- Futures: These are bets that are placed on something that has yet to happen. Futures wagers can be placed on certain major events like the winner of the upcoming World Series or the winner of the US Open golf tournament.
- Parlays: A parlay is a bet in which you place two or more games on the same betting slip. They’re popular with recreational bettors due to the chance for higher returns. However, they’re risky and become tougher to hit with each addition to the ticket.
- Live Betting: Also known as in-play betting, these are wagers that you can place after the action has gotten underway. You’ll find similar opportunities as you would prior to the game — albeit with odds that reflect what has happened so far — as well as some different ones. Odds and markets move quick here, but live betting continues to grow in popularity.
Sports you can bet on at BetMGM Sportsbook
If it’s a big game, huge fight or major tournament, you’ll find it available for wagering at BetMGM. All of the main sports are well-represented, and there are even some niche offerings for those on the hunt for something a little bit different. Here’s the current list of markets available.
- Football — NFL and college
- Basketball — NBA and college
- Australian Rules Football
- Formula 1
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union
For bettors who are solely concerned with the top sports that have big followings, BetMGM will work just fine. For niche bettors, there are some options available. However, other operators go the extra mile with things not offered here, such as cycling, darts, and various international competitions.
BetMGM Sportsbook odds boost
Odds boosts are special betting opportunities in which an operator kicks the odds up a notch. The boost provides the opportunity for better returns if the wager is graded a winner. Typically, boosts will be offered on things such as individual games, prop bet opportunities, and parlays selected by the operator.
BetMGM offers odds boosts and has a dedicated icon for them that is located at the top of the main website. Clicking on that will populate the main lobby with current and upcoming opportunities. Furthermore, the rotating banner in the main lobby will also feature current odds boost offerings from time to time.
In addition to boosts, BetMGM also offers several other regular promotions. You’ll find many of them in the banner ad, and there’s also a dedicated link to current promotional offerings. Here’s a sampling of what’s currently available.
- Money Monday Club: If you opt in to this promotion and place $50 in qualifying bets in one week, you’ll receive a free $10 bet the following Monday.
- Free Bets up to $100: To qualify for this promotion, you’ll need to place a live basketball bet Tuesday through Saturday. The reward is a free bet that scales based on how much you play up to $100.
- Overtime Insurance: If you lose a bet on an NFL game in overtime, BetMGM will credit you back with a free bet of up to $25.
- Parlay Insurance: If you place a five-team parlay wager and miss out on one of the legs, then you’ll be refunded the amount of your bet up to $25.
BetMGM Sportsbook does a solid job with ongoing promotions, and you won’t have to do a lot of digging to find them on the website or mobile app.
How does BetMGM compare against FanDuel?
This isn’t the first sports betting rodeo for the team behind the scenes at BetMGM. Poor pricing isn’t going to fly in today’s competitive marketplace. That’s not an issue here. We found BetMGM to be on point with the general market consensus on a number of upcoming games and events.
To demonstrate, here’s what the line looks like at BetMGM Sportsbook in NJ for an upcoming NFL game.
- Indianapolis Colts -2.5 (-110) O 44.5 (-110) -143
- Chicago Bears +2.5 (-110) U 44.5 (-110) +120
Now here’s how the same game is being priced out at FanDuel Sportsbook in NJ.
- Indianapolis Colts -2.5 (-110) O 43.5 (-110) -144
- Chicago Bears +2.5 (-110) U 43.5 (-110) +122
The only big difference comes via a point on the total as Fanduel is at 43.5 versus 44.5 over at BetMGM. Even the moneyline isn’t far off as BetMGM has a slightly better price on the Colts while FanDuel offers a couple of extra ticks on the Bears.
The story was the same with all of the other NFL games we checked on: right in line with maybe a tick of difference here or there. All in all, BetMGM does a solid job with pricing. Shopping around for the best price is always a good call, but you should be pleased with what you find at BetMGM on an overall basis.
How to deposit and cash out winnings
On the browser-based site, the cashier function can be found on the upper right-hand side by your account information. For mobile, you’ll be able to access it via the expandable menu. In both cases, the function itself is smooth and easy to use. You’ll find several options for moving money in and out of your BetMGM Sportsbook account.
- Bank transfer
- Credit cards (Mastercard, Visa or American Express)
- VIP preferred
- Cash at the land-based casino partner’s cage
For the cash at the casino cage option, options are limited with BetMGM for the time being. Here are the states where you can take care of business in-person at each of the states in which BetMGM is available. Please check with support before making a special trip just for this purpose as there may be restrictions in place:
- NJ: Cash at cage is available at Borgata Hotel, Casino, & Spa. 1 Borgata Way, Atlantic City, NJ 08401.
- MI: Cash at cage is available at MotorCity Casino, 2901 Grand River Ave, Detroit.
Some of the methods listed up above are only good for deposits, such as credit cards. Other options like PayPal will work for both funding your account and making withdrawals. If you’d like to deposit and remove in the same fashion, keep this in mind.
Overall, it’s a decent selection to choose from. Other operators offer more choices, but the major bases are covered. For those who have a bank that frowns on gambling-related transactions, PayPal and Play+ are there as alternative options.
How to contact customer support
BetMGM has several options available for support. Unfortunately, getting to them on the web-based platform takes some digging. There’s a help and contact icon in the upper right, but nothing on the bottom of the page.
That’s not the end of the world, but the vast majority of operators have a clear “contact us” link toward the bottom of the main website. If you click on the help and contact button, you’ll first be prompted to check off the category of your query.
After doing so, a list of frequently asked questions comes up. You have to choose one of them to move forward. Once you do, you’ll find links for additional help from there. While we understand that many answers can be found in the FAQs, it would be nice to have more direct links for actual support.
When you click through that you need more help, you’ll find the three different ways to contact BetMGM.
- Live chat
There’s also a direct link to the help pages from here for those who prefer to go this route. For live chat, you’ll enter your name and email and be placed in a queue. Once it’s your turn, you can chat with a live rep to resolve your question.
The email support is essentially a trouble ticket system in which you spell out your issue and send it off and wait for a reply. For pressing matters, BetMGM customer support can be reached at 1-609-248-9531.
Overall, it’s a good set of options. Live chat and phone support are great touches. However, users shouldn’t have to hunt around so much just to get a hold of a live person.
BetMGM and sponsorships
BetMGM has been active on the sponsorship front. At the league level, BetMGM has at least some kind of deal in place with the following:
There are also sponsorship deals in place with a quartet of NFL teams.
Since the NFL is the biggest needle-mover at sportsbooks, BetMGM is doing a solid job of making sure it’s front and center in the minds of fans in several big sports betting markets. That strategy will likely continue as BetMGM makes its debut in new states.
Back in 2017, the playMGM platform made its debut by offering casino and poker games. The following year, sports betting was added to the menu in New Jersey.
In 2019, Roar Holdings, a joining venture of MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings, was born. As part of the deal, playMGM was re-christened as BetMGM.
The sportsbook also was up and running in Nevada, and has since been unveiled in an additional eight states:
- West Virginia, Jan. 2020
- Indiana, Feb. 2020
- Colorado, May 2020
- Tennessee, November 2020
- Pennsylvania, December 2020
- Iowa, January 2021
- Michigan, January 2021
- Virginia, January 2021
BetMGM has made no secret of its ambitions of being one of the top sports betting operators in the US. The company has been aggressively pursuing partnerships in all markets entered to date, and also has its sights firmly set on entering additional states as soon as possible.
As a well-funded entity with a wealth of experience behind it, we’ll consider BetMGM to have an excellent chance of achieving its long-term goals.