The No. 1 seed Baylor Bears (27-6) will try to secure a place in the Sweet 16 in an NCAA Tournament second round matchup against the No. 8 seed North Carolina Tar Heels (25-9) on Saturday at , tipping off at TBA. Keep reading to find betting insights and statistics to help place a wager on the Bears’ (to win on the moneyline) matchup versus the Tar Heels ( ).
The betting insights in the following article reference odds valid as of March 17, 2022 at 11:58 PM ET.
Claim FanDuel Sportsbook’s Bonus and get a risk-free bet up to $1,000 when you sign up!
Baylor vs North Carolina Betting Odds
by Ryan Minion
UNC rolled over 9-seed Marquette by 32 points in the First Round on Thursday, and now meets the defending national champion.
North Carolina has won 13 of their last 15 games, beating their opponent by an average margin of victory of more than ten points. During the Tar Heels resurgence as a legitimate threat in the ACC, their defensive efficiency metrics have thrived, ranking as a top-five team in the country in both defensive rebounding and shots attacking the rim. North Carolina has an ‘adjSQ DEF’ rating of 0.95, which ranks in the top 25.
Furthermore, for a Baylor team who heavily relies on offensive rebounding and second chance points, the Bears may struggle significantly against a team that matches their athleticism and physicality on the defensive side of the ball.
That said, there may be value to back the North Carolina Tar Heels to not only cover as a 5.5-point underdog, but also to win the game outright at +200, and advance to the Sweet 16.
Baylor Offense Vs. North Carolina Defense
|Baylor Offense||Stats (Rank)||North Carolina Defense|
|76.8 (43)||Points/Gm||71.5 (246)|
|67.6 (193)||Possessions/Game||70.1 (243)|
|46.6 (46)||Field Goal %||43.1 (176)|
|34.7 (118)||3PT %||34.6 (242)|
|53.2 (59)||Effective FG %||49.5 (176)|
|56.1 (73)||True Shooting %||52.4 (173)|
North Carolina Offense Vs. Baylor Defense
|North Carolina Offense||Stats (Rank)||Baylor Defense|
|78 (31)||Points/Gm||63.2 (31)|
|69.9 (97)||Possessions/Game||67.8 (126)|
|45.3 (106)||Field Goal %||42.4 (133)|
|36.2 (55)||3PT %||29.8 (21)|
|52.2 (92)||Effective FG %||47.7 (92)|
|56.3 (67)||True Shooting %||50.5 (75)|
Baylor Betting Insights
- Baylor has compiled a 17-16-1 ATS record so far this year.
- When playing as at least 5.5-point favorites this season, the Bears have an ATS record of 12-12-1.
- Baylor and its opponents have combined to hit the over 18 out of 34 times this season.
- In 10 of 34 games this season, Baylor and its opponents have combined to score more than 149 points.
- Bears outings this year have an average point total of 138.5, 10.5 fewer points than this game’s over/under.
North Carolina Betting Insights
- North Carolina has compiled a 17-16-1 record against the spread this year.
- The Tar Heels have been an underdog by 5.5 points or more two times this year, and covered the spread in one of those contests.
- North Carolina and its opponents have combined to hit the over 20 out of 34 times this season.
- North Carolina’s games this season have had a combined scoring total higher than 149 points in 19 of 34 outings.
- The average total for Tar Heels games this season is 147.7 points, 1.3 fewer points than this game’s over/under.
Baylor Key Players
- James Akinjo leads the Bears in scoring (13.3 points per game) and assists (5.8 assists per game).
- Baylor is led in rebounds by Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua’s 6.8 per game.
- Adam Flagler is the top three-point shooter for the Bears, hitting 2.4 per game.
- Baylor’s steals leader is Akinjo, who collects two per game. Flo Thamba leads the team averaging one block a game.
North Carolina Key Players
- Armando Bacot has the top Tar Heels spot in two categories: scoring (16.5 points per game) and rebounding (12.4 rebounds per game).
- Caleb Love puts in work giving out assists and is North Carolina’s assist leader with 3.7 per game.
- Brady Manek is tops from three-point range for the Tar Heels, hitting 2.4 treys per game.
- North Carolina’s Love has the top spot on the team’s steals leaderboard with 1.1 per game and Bacot is first in blocks with 1.6 per game.